Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove this this weekend. I know about the bolts indside but does it just slide out of the steering box?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The shaft and the box are integrated. You'll have to remove the pitman arm from the front suspension, remove the bolts that hold the box and all of the connections in the engine compartment.

Here is a how to that should help out

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/07/steeringbox/

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
On a '65/'66, the shaft is an integral part of the steering box. The outer column, the colored piece that you see in the interior and goes to the box, will slide up and out after removing the steering wheel, turn signal mechanism and wiring and unbolting the big "U" under the dash. The box then gets unbolted from the frame and finnagled out from underneath. Others should chime in with their techniques.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
gjz30075 said:
The box then gets unbolted from the frame and finnagled out from underneath.
I pulled mine ('66 fastback w/ 289) out through the top. I didn't see how I could get it out from underneath with the engine installed, so I pulled the driver's side header and the clutch linkage and was able to get it out that way. This job looks worse than it is. A helper in the car to guide the shaft is VERY useful.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
201 Posts
The shaft is in the column and connected to the gear box, as previously mentioned. I just got my gear box and shaft rebuilt/cleaned up. This is what I did. Maybe this might help your situation.
1.) Remove ptiman arm (use the pitman arm puller)
2.) Remove center piece of the steering wheel
3.) Remove the shaft nut (the large, single nut- you can't miss it. There is probably a metal washer (triangular)- remove that, too.
4.) Remove the spring
5.) Remove the metal sleeve/bushing: using a flat head screw driver, carefully back out the sleeve from the sides of the sleeve.
6.) Disconnect the steering column harness- there are two:eek:ne small, one bigger
7.) Slide the column off. It may be a little stubborn. If so, try giving it a little twist to get it loose. It should slide easily off.
8.) Undo the three bolts that hold the gear box to the frame rail.
9.) Get the thing out how ever you can. My engine is currently out, so it was a piece of cake. If you're engine is installed, you'll need to take further action.

This might help- it has pictures.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/projectbuild/mump_0402_power_steering_conversion/

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Blah-blah-blah: That pitman arm is about the toughest thing to remove, and, a waste of time. You can remove the steering box with the pitman arm attached. I've done it.
Off with the column cover.
Disconnect the pitman arm from the drag link.
Unbolt the steering box.
You might find it easier to: remove the power steering pump and the left exhaust manifold or header.
The box comes out forward of the shock tower.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Roddster said:
Blah-blah-blah: That pitman arm is about the toughest thing to remove, and, a waste of time.
ummm, to what are you refferring to with the blah. . . . Also, what do you mean the pitman arm is a waste of time? He does, in fact need to remove it in order to get the box out. If their engine is installed, it's a whole lot easier to remove the pitman arm from the gear box, rather than the drag link. And, it's not the toughest thing to remove. It's actually one of the easiest- so long as you have a pitman arm tool.

Anyhow, OUTOF813, (if you have power steering) you might need to remove the power steering ram bracket on the frame rail to get better access to the pitman arm. The whole job is not hard at all. This was my experience with my car. I'm sure others (as they already have) will tell you differently.
Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Spend the 5 minutes to remove the driver's side seat as well. This will give you the clearance you need to remove it through the top of the engine compartment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts