Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65 FB. How do I go about restoring the 3 (ea side) chromed finned pieces on the inside of the car that allow the air to flow out of the car through the rear louvers? Anyone know of repo or NOS trim for these somewhere?

John

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
AFAIK these are not repro'd, so you're best bet is working on the ones you have, or finding some from another car ('66 Shelby clone?)

Here's what I did: As I planned to repaint my interior panels, first I cleaned the chrome with fine steel wool, and then stripped the panel. After carefully masking around the chrome area, IIRC I touched up some of the black paint inbetween the fins, and then topcoated with a coat of POR-15's "Glisten". This is really nice, super glossy clearcoat - it really put a nice finish on some tires chrome....

Then I reversed the masking and painted the panel itself.

Good luck - Dickson

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
I cleaned the chrome with steel whool and clean the panel before painting. Once the panel was cleaned I painted everything. Then I took a razor to clean the paint off of the chrome.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately my fins are pitted up pretty bad so they need more than cleanup and paint any other suggestions? Also what do you to safely remove the paint on the fiberglass trim?

John

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
If the fins are beyond restoration IIRC your only option is to find some in better condition. Know anyone who's added '66 Shelby style windows lately ????

You could try painting over the chrome in an effort to fill pits etc, but I doubt it will look too much better.

FYI I used a chemical stripper from Eastwood that did not attack the fiberglass. Whatever you use, first test a small area on the backside of the panel to be sure it's OK. Dickson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts