Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try to cut out of work tomorrow and head to a swap meet as the newbie that I am. I hope to find an 8 inch rear for a 66 coupe. Any things I should look for they don't tell you in the books? I understand the rear bearings are difficult or expensive to replace? Any way to tell if they are bad? Are tag numbers useful? This is for a driver to work and not sitting behind a powerhouse (maybe someday...). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
How do you tell if an 8 inch is good?
You had me on smirking and giggling so much my wife thought I was visiting
on of those sites...
I can't do it...I can't utter the punch line...

As for your intended query, unless you know about rear ends (oh my god...),
I would opt to visit one of those guys who goes to all the swap meets
with a trailer full of them. You stand a good chance of getting
something decent.

BTW, you ask her... (oh my god, my eyes are watering )
And just then a Victoria's Secret commercial comes on...

Bill (on the floor now).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I re-read my post. Ooopps. I'm embarrassed.

I was not sure on the bearings and how much they come into play or, if they are bad, how difficult/$$$$ to replace. I saw one on EHay that said the bearings needed replaced but needed shipped across the U.S. Wasn't sure how to check them. Also thought there might be things to look out for typical to rear housings - maybe parts that are hard to get or match or areas prone to failure. Newbie questions I know, but thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I was just funnin' ya.
But I did get a good laugh.
You may well be money ahead getting a Currie rebuilt
or finding someone in your area who sells used units.
The used section of this site may well work too.

I've found that most of the stuff I've bought
wasn't at all what the owner said "oh yah, it's rebuilt"
or "You can bolt it right in". Ya, right.

If you can find one for cheap locally and in the right ratio then have it gone through
locally, that's another option. If you've never done one, don't start now.

K

·
0 Posts
I was right there with ya on reading his post's subject line. I wanted to respond....but then I'd have to arrest myself. ::

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Are you going to the Springfield swap meet? In my opinion, it may as well be a Chevy swap meet. Best of luck to you, though. A guy named Bret...something may be there with a bunch of Mustang parts. Remember to ask if they left big things like rearends at home.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to chuckle myself after reading my post.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out Currie. This is a first time project, so not alot power boost or engine mods and I'm pretty much sticking with a stock build to try and learn. Figure that way I'm not pushing the envelope and mistakes hopefully be easy to fix. One thing for sure, this forum is great.

Yup, that is the meet I was heading to (Spingfield). Thanks for the tip. A buddy at work drives a 442 and suggested it, but then again that's built by [censored ;)] so it may be why he's heading out there. He mentioned there might be one this winter at the Ohio Fair Grounds as well that might have more Ford parts(?)

Later and thanks all. I appreciate the feedback!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts