Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my tires came in today. Radial T/A P245/60-R14's. Need to get them mounted and balanced. They are on stock steel rims. If I remember correctly you need to have them Lug-Centric balanced ( using lug holes) and not center balanced ( todays way using holes in center of wheel). If I remember correctly the old wheels center hole was just a hole and was not centered on the wheel.
The tire store I bought the tires through (Big chain store) does not have the old equipment to balance. What do I do?
Anyone know of a place to have balanced in Detroit area.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I carry one in each hand so I dont fall over!!!!!

most of the time it isnt a problem.....its true lug centric balancing is usually more accurate; but most times either balancing type will do

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
On the car is the best, but there is nothing wrong with just letting the tire shop do what they do with what they have. The tires will balance out fine for street use. If not it's a tire or wheel problem, not the balancing. Tell'em you don't want any weights on the outside of the wheel either. It'll be fine.

G

·
0 Posts
With the steel rim with a round hole, standard equipment should work fine.

Its the Styled Steel Wheels that do not have a centering hole. They definitely do need lug centric equipment.

Where I live, "DiscountTIres" has the necessary equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts