Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The button on the exterior door handle gets stuck sometimes inside.

1. What part most likely went bad?
2. I bought new exterior door handles in case I need to replace them. I took off the door panel. How do I remove the existing door handle?

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
i should be in bed !:shocked: take the door panel off. unclip the rod attatched to the handle mechanism. there is a small hex nut on the inside of the door that hold the front of the handle on. there is a screw on the door jamb that holds the rear of the door handle on. good night !!!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I recommend looking close at the mechanism. It may just be a little oil (real oil not WD40) in a couple places will have it working slick.

Repo outside door handles are notorious for needing rework out of the box. Many times you get nice shiney new chrome and bad function. At that point you'll need to figure out how they work. Aslo there are many points in the latch/lock mechanism that should be lubed while you have the interior panel off.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use new repo handles and swap the old mechanism into it as the original mechanism works much better.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I use new repo handles and swap the old mechanism into it as the original mechanism works much better.
+1 did same. But if mechanism sticks.....?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts