Vintage Mustang Forums banner

How do you dispose of 40 years of Mustang Monthly?

1742 Views 42 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  mrbreez
I have nearly every issue from Oct. 1980 thru Jan 2020 (the last issue). What are people doing with their collections?
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
13,386 Posts
This exact issue has come up here multiple times. I recall one person finding someone willing to take old issues of Mustang Monthly. Everyone else, to include me, has simply dumped them into the recycle bin. I simply don't have room for hundreds of magazines.

Local libraries typically have no interest.

· Registered
10,873 Posts
With a collection THAT complete, it's a shame to see it go. I suppose you could pull the staples and scan them in to a (large) file or portable hard drive, but virtulally EVERYTHING in there is common knowledge to many now, is searchable and easily found on the web, or just out-dated. Magazines at this point are a space-robbing, dust, mold, and mouse magnet. I used to clip out articles for how-tos and such. Now there are tens or hundreds of videos on the topic. Donate or recycle.

· Registered
74 Posts
The Mustang Owners Museum may have interest in a complete collection like that.

Reactions: Bad66GT

· Registered
6,622 Posts
had a thread on my 35 year collection last month. Couldn't give them away.
I tossed them on recycle day

i just kept the one issue where they answered my question.

there's nothing in there that i can find with one click these days

although is fun to read the want ads from 1980s.
Boss 302 all original low mile $6500 OBO
351C Shaker complete $200
NOS part going for $50

· Registered
13,386 Posts

there's nothing in there that i can find with one click these days

although is fun to read the want ads from 1980s.
Boss 302 all original low mile $6500 OBO
351C Shaker complete $200
NOS part going for $50
"Boy when ole Glen Miller played,
Songs that made the Hit Parade"...

· Registered
74 Posts

I did basically the same thing a few years ago. I kept the issue where I got "published" (they answered my question), and I also kept a couple others that had something significant to me. The rest of the 15 year collection of both Mustang Monthly and Mustang and Fast Fords (along with various name changes it had at the end) went to recycle bin. Kind of sad to see them go, but ultimately I rarely/never went back to look at one older than a few months.

· Registered
7,472 Posts
With a collection THAT complete, it's a shame to see it go. I suppose you could pull the staples and scan them in to a (large) file or portable hard drive, but virtulally EVERYTHING in there is common knowledge to many now, is searchable and easily found on the web, or just out-dated. Magazines at this point are a space-robbing, dust, mold, and mouse magnet. I used to clip out articles for how-tos and such. Now there are tens or hundreds of videos on the topic. Donate or recycle.
If someone had the time, It would be cool to cull it down to just the how to articles, put appropriate tags on them and make a searchable PDF. Car profile articles could be a separate PDF.

· Registered
10,873 Posts
I put all the how-tos in my head and figured out how not to get hurt on the same piece again. Been working on Mustangs long enough now that even some of the scars have disappeared. And I'm a young fella!

· Registered
6,622 Posts
Also tossed about a foot high pile of carb repair manuals
If I need to know what gasket, jet or choke setting on a holley 80457 it's easier and fsster to Google

· Registered
978 Posts
Just about 2 weeks ago I opened one of my garage cabinets…looked at the stack of MM from 1981-2001 and thought, “I should throw those away”….I haven’t looked at them since I built the garage in 2003. But I just closed the cabinet…maybe next year

· Registered
1,480 Posts
This exact issue has come up here multiple times. I recall one person finding someone willing to take old issues of Mustang Monthly. Everyone else, to include me, has simply dumped them into the recycle bin. I simply don't have room for hundreds of magazines.

Local libraries typically have no interest.
I picked them up :)
Always have a hand full of Magazines in the house to read them from time to time. I agree, the internet is faster to find How to's, but I like paper.

· Registered
273 Posts
I remember when the magazine would show up in the mailbox. I looked forward to each new issue and would happily spend that evening consuming it cover to cover. Mine went in the trash a few years back except for ten or fifteen that had stickies on articles I wanted to highlight for reference.

· Registered
1973 Ford Mustang Grande 351C
424 Posts
As I’ve said before, small, not Goodwill, thrift stores take them. I peruse about 10 different stores in SoCal and western AZ and as soon as someone brings them in, they’re gone. I’ve bought some to reminisce the old days. Please, try that before a dumpster. But NOT Goodwill, they don’t take magazines.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts