Vintage Mustang Forums banner

How do you dispose of 40 years of Mustang Monthly?

1742 Views 42 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  mrbreez
I have nearly every issue from Oct. 1980 thru Jan 2020 (the last issue). What are people doing with their collections?
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
978 Posts
Publication Font Material property Book Paper

so I went out and grabbed one at random…This is October ‘89
Theres also a How to article for cowl repair, but it was apparently before repop cowl bottoms , because they fabricated it out of several pieces

· Registered
13,386 Posts
View attachment 878151
so I went out and grabbed one at random…This is October ‘89
Theres also a How to article for cowl repair, but it was apparently before repop cowl bottoms , because they fabricated it out of several pieces
I think I'm going to call Curt McKenna about that Shelby.

· Read Only
1 Posts
I had many years of mustang monthly and mustangs and fords. I search for them on eBay and found a seller 20 miles away. He had tons of them for sale, mosy bundled by years. I messaged him if he wanted them and he said no interest. I promptly recycled them. Alan

· Registered
1,127 Posts
If there's anyone in the DFW area reading this who is similarly burdened by decades of old MMs, please PM me. I'll gladly get rid of them for you. I haven't read one since the mid-80s but really enjoyed them.

Reactions: 2+2=GT350

· Registered
6,258 Posts
I got over 30 years of Life magazines for free back in the 90s. I cut out a bunch of automotive related advertisements, put them in sleeves and sold them on ebay. I made some pretty good coin off that venture and learned a lot of things that I never learned in school. Whenever I run across an issue for a quarter, I buy it, read it and toss it.

· Registered
1965 fastback project
5 Posts
I received some magazines from another Mustang club member recently. They included Mustang Monthly, Mustangs and Fords, Car Craft, and Super Chevy magazines. These magazines were from around 2000 to 2005. I gave the Super Chevy Magazines to a friend looked through the rest. I cut out the "how to" articles that were of interest to me. I will place the articles into folders labeled by major topic. I was disappointed to see that even as early as the 2000's the articles were more of a how did a shop install a product by a sponsor of our magazine. I wonder if the earlier editions included more of how to articles for Mustang owners. I was also disappointed to see how many advertisers of Mustang related products are no longer in business.

· Registered
978 Posts
I wonder if the earlier editions included more of how to articles for Mustang owners. I was also disappointed to see how many advertisers of Mustang related products are no longer in business.
The 80s into the early 90’s were MMs prime time for the average hobbyist…Lots of hands on How To articles.…Of course it was all pre internet, and there just wasn’t another source for specialized knowledge….I used one of their early articles about putting 66 gauges in a 65 to create myself a side-gig…I made the conversions for several club members.🤑
I should dig that old article out of the pile and save it for old times sake.

· Registered
62 Posts
I have nearly every issue from Oct. 1980 thru Jan 2020 (the last issue). What are people doing with their collections?
Mine finally went to city recycle bin. Was a sad day. Lots of reading and history there. I had 25+ yrs. I tried and tried to sell them and to give them away, no such luck. I have heard that some libraries take magazines. I’ve seen old Nat Geo and Pop Mechanics at ours.

· Registered
8,213 Posts
OK, you suckered me into biting: who do you know in Vermont that is (still) using an outhouse ? We in Oklahoma, err, those of us that can read, still look up to Vermont as unattainable perfection.

Z

PS close relatives don’t count.
I guess you forgot who you're talking to. I imagine Bart has an outhouse that looks like this with the addition of a satellite dish and solar panels:

Plant Wood Natural material Tree Gas

· Registered
1966 GT Fastback, Vintage Burgundy, A-code, T5z, 4-wheel disc brakes
588 Posts
I took my collection to my local Vintage Mustang Club meeting and gave them away a few years back. I had every issue dating back to the early 80's.

Reactions: LSG

· Registered
8 Posts
On second thought…I think I’ll take them to the March swap meet in Louisville..put them out there for free… and if they are still there when it’s over on Sunday, I’ll drop them in the dumpster…
Might try this, too. Internet Archive takes physical donations, if they need what you have:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts