Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 66 coupe is not going anywhere and I cannot conceive of ever selling it. My other cars are the same way. I bought them because I really wanted them and still enjoy them.

Just like any other long term relationship I keep them until they break down a lot, can't be trusted or start degrading the neighborhood. To be sure we are talking about cars here and not women. Just being old is not a reason to get rid of them.

They are getting on in years. The Mustangs are 40 years old. My pick up is 10, wagon is 9, Dad's pickup has been in the family for 20 years. Can't imagine life without them. Our cars kind of define us. None are just boring transportation.

Lately my daughter is thinking about another car. But her 96 Mustang is in great shape and she has had it for 6 years since she was 15. She can't imagine life without her car either.

When do you feel it is time for another car? Do you just get bored or just want to try something new?

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
When I first started driving, I drove my grandmother's 1984 Chevy Cavalier SW for over a year. She and my grandfather (same one who bought the '53 Buick) bought it new in 1984. My dad got a new car so I got his '98 Pontiac Sunfire. Thats a hell of a step up from an old, slow, but very reliable '84 wagon. I couldn't get rid of Old Betsy (named by my grandmother) so I drove it back to my grandmother's house and Betsy is now tucked away in a heated garage. :)

Betsy: Still going after twenty two years of daily driving. :)

I can never see myself getting rid of the 1953 Buick. Its all original and its been in the family since 1970. It was my grandfather's last classic car that he wrenched on.

The Mustang was my first car. I can never see myself getting rid of it either, but it would definitely go before the Buick (if circumstances demanded such a decision).

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Gene,
I will never sell my '68. I restored the car myself, that I am proud of, I had some great help from the people here and also yourself. I am very lucky to have the car, I will keep it forever. I totally enjoy driving her, working on her, and just standing back and looking at her. For the '86, I plan on keeping her forever too, have not done much work on it yet but have great plans for her.
Randy

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Sell Murphy? Sell Trouble? Sacre bleu!!! :horror:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Love, hate despair, elation, depression, anticipation, anger, joy, aggrevation and fondness.
Just the normal stuff!
Bruce
69 convertible

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Gene, I think I shall never get tired of a couple of my cars. Two of my Mustangs will go to my sons ( when there 35) I think. I just couldn't imagine selling them unless some emergeny arose.

I also have a never PowerStroke that I feel I shall keep around for many years too come as well I have done a lot of work on it and just love it and feel it will serve my purpose for many years too come.

Than I have a few other cars I can't wait to DUMP first of all a Mini van I hate it but with little kids its a nessary evil, than a run around station wagon practical but no fun, than a boring Taurus 4 door, and a moderate 5ther wheeler.

Now in a perfect world, the Mini-Van would be gone with no re-placement, the Wagon maybe a Magnum wagon and the run about a Chrysler 300C fully loaded. No more 5th wheeler maybe a Prevost would be nice.

Mark

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Every time I see it ... :highfive:
How I'd feel if I sold it... :wall:

But if someone had to have a 68 S code 'vert and came up with a silly amount of money I'd sell it... and then buy another to restore! :rofl:

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
With my "ho-hum" cars, like the Hondas, Nissans, etc., it's just been when they have too many miles and maintenaince starts to become an issue.

With my Mustangs, its just oppurtunity knocking. I didn't plan to buy my '69, but came across the deal of the century. As fun as it is to drive, though, I still enjoy jumping into my '66 and driving it, even though it's been my daily driver for 7 years now. I can't see ever getting rid of my '66.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'll keep the '65 for as long as can work on it I think -- I like different and there is not much to compare with a classic warmed up and noisy Mustang drop top on a warm summer night. Or a cold winter day. I might relegate it to the garage on rainy days some day, but not yet. If the time comes that I can't work on it any longer, the kids can share it. But that ain't yet. In fact, the next engine is will go in soon (thanks, TED!) so thats another 13 or 14 years.

·
Registered
428 Posts
So far I am enjoying working on my daughter’s 68 coupe. Her instructions are that if she tires of it then it comes back to me. I would love to have an early fastback but with the prices these days that is not likely to happen. Thus I have turned my interest to a late 80s,early 90’s 5.0. If money, time,, and storage pace were more plentiful I would have about a dozen cars and trucks.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have three of them. The first I restored was a 69 Mach 1 that Swmabo laid claim to. The second was a 66 GT fastback 4 speed car. It has become to valuable to use as a daily driver so it has been relegated to special occasions and how I have started on a 67 fastback to make into my driver. I love them all and hope I have them forever.
Al

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gene,
I will never sell my '68. I restored the car myself, that I am proud of, I had some great help from the people here and also yourself. I am very lucky to have the car, I will keep it forever. I totally enjoy driving her, working on her, and just standing back and looking at her. For the '86, I plan on keeping her forever too, have not done much work on it yet but have great plans for her.
Randy
Randy, is your car Brittney Blue?

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
Old farmer Joe had mine from the age of 40 till he was 58.
Now it's my turn. I'm 43 .... that leaves me ...hmmmm??

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I'd sell my car in a heartbeat....for a ridiculous amount of money! Then I'd go buy another in better condition!

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
My 66 was my first car and drove it until issues with the trans leaking and timing issues on the motor just became too much of an issue with the long trips I was going to be going on and the lack of time I'd have to rebuild the motor and trans when I knew I was going to swap them out anyway, so I bought my 97. The 66 has been on a hiatus and is now undergoing some major surgery, but I don't plan on ever selling it. With as rough as it was, when I would take it to cruise nights, guys would come up to me and say, "Hey kid, your dad's got a nice car there". I would tell them that it's mine and they would say how they had one when they were my age and how they ended up selling it when they were in their 20s and regretted it forever.

The 97? It's a nice car, but it just doesn't have the class of a classic mustang. You see them everywhere and there are far too many 6 cylinder ones that are riced out running around. I'd love a 2007 GT 500, but right now I know I have no way of affording it, so I'll just keep driving the 97 until the cost of repairing the problems that creep up outweighs the value of the car.

If I had the money to "finish" my 66 (they're never done) I would sell my 97 in a heart beat.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Gene, I usually try to get a couple that I really want, ones that will stay no matter what. Then I buy the normal transportation cars that are the replaceable ones. We are thinking about getting rid of the Taurus now, it is a 99, I have always hated that car so it won't be hard to get rid of that one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Iv had my car for eighteen years. Iv had some good, bad and ridiculously offers for it. At the time it was either sitting in my garage or pushed outside for the summer under a tarp...that's when the offers usually came. At times I thought I would never get to fixing it. My conscience would never let me sell it and now I am so thankful. It was my first love and I cant let it go.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts