Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned several mustangs and it seems as if 90% of them have dents in the front frame rails....Either from the road or jacks? I don't know but how do you get them looking nice and straight again? I am in the process of stripping the undercarriage and engine compartment. Thanks

·
Registered
661 Posts
When I replaced the floors in mine, the frame rails were easily accessible to be dollied back into shape. I have heard of people heating them to get them really straight, but I was a little nervous about that.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Since the frame rails were galvanized in the 65/66 Mustangs (67 - up ???), I wanted to straighten the dinged/dented areas with as little damage to the inside and outside galvanizing. Since there was some front floor pan work to be done anyway, I opted to cut a thin seam right down the floor pan over top the middle axis of the front frame rail using a thin cutoff wheel. The edges (like a flange) were then bent back enough to dolly the inner sides of the frame rail. Then the inside of the rails were cleaned up and coated with some rust preventative. The edges were bent back into place; and the seam mig welded back together. The original frame rail spot welds were never disturbed. I think that most front framerails were dented from people who thought they were jacking the car on a "frame" member. A small surfaced hydraulic jack can be hard on a framerail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts