Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install the Lock-Rite locker I bought and I cannot get the darn pinion shaft out.

What is the correct way to get it removed?

PowerTrax says you can install their locker with common tools at home.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Maybe I am missing something here but why would you need to pull the pinion out to install the locker? 8" Ford correct? Robert

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
seperate the top 1/2 from the bottom 1/2, use a punch(smaller than 1/4") to knock out the roll pin, then knock out the pinion shaft with a drift.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the pinion shaft to drop into the carrier but the pinion gears are stuck to the top of the shaft so now I can't go forward or go backward.

Are the pinion gears supposed to be that tight to the shaft?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you are doing ::

To get to the guts of the 8" differential, you have to remove the ring&pinion/differential from the housing, remove the ring gear bolts and remove the ring gear from the case. You would then separate the two halves of the differential case, knock out the pin from the large side that retains the pinion shaft in the housing, then use a drift to knock the shaft through the case and out. Then the pinion (spider) gears can be removed and the locker installed.
Make sure when you assemble the unit that you put the ring gear back in mesh with the same teeth on the pinion gear and you re-set the backlash correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts