Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

at time 2:40-2:50...
How do you get this sound on the street, without getting pulled over by every cop you pass? Is there a muffler that matches, or are cut outs the only way?

·
Registered
35,857 Posts
You could use the Arvinode exhaust, chambered pipes without mufflers, quiet when you stay off, loud when you nail it. Or you could get bypass mufflers, which have a vacuum-operated internal valve (controlled by a knob on the dash) to bypass the baffles and go straight through.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
22GT
Do you have any idea on what headers the K code used in the video? Tri-y's?

·
Registered
35,857 Posts
22GT
Do you have any idea on what headers the K code used in the video? Tri-y's?
It's not a K code, that really only applies to a Mustang. The 65 GT 350 (built from K code Mustangs) came either as an S code (street) or R code (racing). The car in the video was an R code. It's hard to say which it has, the only glimpse of the headers could have been either Tri-Y or full tube. I'm fairly sure the R codes all received full-tube, though.

How do you get this sound on the street, without getting pulled over by every cop you pass? Is there a muffler that matches, or are cut outs the only way?
That's an R code, as I said above. It has no mufflers. The "exhaust system" is a set of headers with straight pipes exiting in front of the rear wheels. That'll probably get you ticketed, if not impounded, in all 50 states.

I should point out the Arvinode system in the above link doesn't even use headers, it uses iron HP manifolds.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
That's an R code, as I said above. It has no mufflers. The "exhaust system" is a set of headers with straight pipes exiting in front of the rear wheels. That'll probably get you ticketed, if not impounded, in all 50 states.
And this is why a deaf cop, is a happy cop.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
You could use the Arvinode exhaust, chambered pipes without mufflers, quiet when you stay off, loud when you nail it. Or you could get bypass mufflers, which have a vacuum-operated internal valve (controlled by a knob on the dash) to bypass the baffles and go straight through.

YouTube - Arvinode Road Test - 65 Mustang K Code
My K code is correctly dated to get this system. I hope I can buy it this spring.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
the r model got glasspacks. it sounds like this car has straight pipes. all the shelbys & mustangs that sound like this at willow springs raceway have straight pipes. the ones with the X crossover sound different.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like cut outs are the way to go. Pick your legal, drone free, street tone, and also have great open pipes when you choose.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It's not a K code, that really only applies to a Mustang. The 65 GT 350 (built from K code Mustangs) came either as an S code (street) or R code (racing). The car in the video was an R code. It's hard to say which it has, the only glimpse of the headers could have been either Tri-Y or full tube. I'm fairly sure the R codes all received full-tube, though.

I should point out the Arvinode system in the above link doesn't even use headers, it uses iron HP manifolds.
I was referring to your video the burgundy 'k' code. I was surprised to see that the car is using the stock hipo manifolds. It sounds great.

·
Registered
35,857 Posts
the r model got glasspacks. it sounds like this car has straight pipes. all the shelbys & mustangs that sound like this at willow springs raceway have straight pipes. the ones with the X crossover sound different.
You can clearly see, in the video, the straight pipes under the car in one of the side views. The 65 street S models got glasspacks. I was unaware that the R model track racing cars received mufflers.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
one thing top remember is it was recorded with a mic and that may not be the exact sound. i use a $600.00 mic on my tom toms and a $400.00 mic on my bass drum and it gets the sound close but not exact.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I would love to see a good underside shot of an R-code... I wonder if they did any chassis stiffening?

·
Registered
35,857 Posts
I would love to see a good underside shot of an R-code... I wonder if they did any chassis stiffening?
As I recall, just the export brace and Monte Carlo bar.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
i worked on a 65 R model back around 1980 that was raced by Charlie Kemp. all it had was the xport brace,monte carlow bar and some roll cage tubing. this is someone elses photo of the car. i didnt have cents enough nor was i interested in taking photos of these cars back then. i shure woosh i had !

Attachments

·
Registered
35,857 Posts
i worked on a 65 R model back around 1980 that was raced by Charlie Kemp. all it had was the xport brace,monte carlow bar and some roll cage tubing.
No roll cage back in the day. Just a roll bar with a coupla braces.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

That's a nice pic! Love how it's airborne

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts

Kemps shelby had some xtra bars. Kemp was big on safety. Kemp claimed had had tried to get the full face helmet mandentory before Jerry Titus was killed. The steering wheel slamed into the lower part of Jerry Titus's face killing him. Charlie Kemp started racing in the 1960's. just cause someone else didnt race with additional bars doesnt mean everybody did. i worked as a mechanic for about a year 1979-1980. ki also worked on the Kemp Cobra 2 helping to get it ready for 24 hours of daytona. i know what i saw. heres 2 fotos of Kemps cobra 2. Carson Baird was Kemps crew chief and shop foreman at the time. Kemp owned International Motor Cars on South Galllaitin St. in Jackson , Ms. Kemp sold it and the name was changed to Mid South Ferrari. Kemp was a ferrari dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,857 Posts
A lotta safety improvements were made between 1965, and 1979, no doubt about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts