Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just aquired an old, yet unused Dwell meter (Actron, model 624)
It is missing its Instructions. I have requested a set from Actron (sunpro) but I kinda need it now.
--It has a pos. and neg. battery hookup.
-- A green wire with a alligator clip
-- A red wire with alligator clip and a Black wire with Alligator clip. Smaller clips than the battery.

Its readout are RPM, Volts, Amps, Dwell (4,6 8), Ohms, Points (Ok, Bad, Open)

I can guess the rpm but what am I reading Volts of and Amps of? I guess Ohms is for measuring resistance of wires because it come with a spring thingy for hooking up to a spark plug wire.
I have a pertronix but need to use it for RPM mainly due to my Mach 1 dash tach wil not go up past 2K rpm.
Any help would be great?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you have a pertronix then you don't have points so you don't need a dwell meter. Dwell is the electrical measure of the points.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is more than just a dwell meter. Its called a tune up tester (fancy Dwell meter). I really need it for RPM as my Dash tach is not working correctly ( at least above 2K) and I need to tune my car.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
These devices have various ways of connecting, depending upon what you want to measure. Volts and Ohms would use the two wires not associated with the battery clipons. Dwell requires the battery clipons and a connection to the negative side of the coil (the one that is directly connected to the dizzy ground). You would use the same hookup for RPM. Now which wire to use requires a manual! Oh no!

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts