Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ran across this recently and have never figured out a way to fix this issue.

If you get one that spins as you try to get it off your in trouble, so any idea's?

·
Registered
35,857 Posts
Re-tighten it to proper torque, and remove the nut.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you're using an impact gun, it is much easier. Sometimes just pulling down on the joint and using the impact gun will loosen or tighten it. If not, you can get extra leverage with a large pair of slip joint (aka: water pump) pliers. Have one person apply as much force as possible on the joint while you loosen the nut. If it is REALLY stuck (IE: crossthreaded) you need to cut the nut off with a whiz wheel or a cutting torch (if you have the confidence to use one). You could aslo use a nut splitter if you have one.

I've had to do all the above at one time or another. Like I Said, most of the time, and impact gun alone will do the job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another option if there is enough room is a pair of C-clamp vise grips. Since the tie rod is a press fit to the spindle, use the vise grips to press the tie rod into the spindle essentially holding still the stud portion.

Of course I only use that method if it still spins with the impact gun. Don't ask me why, but a 3/8 gun seems to work better than a 1/2. Of the probably 500 or more I've taken off, I've had to use the vise grips 10-20 times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts