Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you keep the rubber piece in a 69/70 automatic shifter from melting besides unplugging the light? I am talking about the black rubber piece that is split for the shifter handle to slide through.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've never heard of them melting, are you sure it's the right bulb?

No matter what, a lower wattage bulb = less heat.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, sure it's the bulb. The bulb was burned out, but I had changed the rubber seal. Everything was fine, then I decided to change the bulb. It melted within an hour. Has anyone else had this problem with their 69/70's?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I bought an aftermarket one that melted without any bulb at all. I had redone my bezel to put in my 69 and was in a box in the shop.

Bruce

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I had an original one that would stick to the chrome shifter handle and would tear apart from the mounts. I'm currently not even using a seal because of the headaches. A good lube would have prevented my problem. If seemed like a really soft rubber though, so I can see it melting easy.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well... You do NOT put your NOS replacement in the attic with the rest of your NOS parts during the Texas summers, don't ask! :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
jmlay said:
Well... You do NOT put your NOS replacement in the attic with the rest of your NOS parts during the Texas summers, don't ask! :)
No kidding, You should have seen the old dresser that had 150 pounds of candle wax (abandoned hobby of a female relative)!!
Had a model of a Cobra that sat on a cabinet in the shop for years.
Finally reached up to pull it down and it had just sagged...the tires were flat...and stuck.

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts