Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this in the Vintage forum but thought I might get some more insight here. Thanks to those who responded already!

I recently restored my engine compartment and either replaced the nuts/bolts/washers with repo's or wire wheeled the originals. Everything looked great for a while but now they are all starting to discolor.

Is there any tricks to keeping the mounting hardware looking like new?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Nope... entropy is a fact of life. If it wasn't there'd be no "old" cars!

I guess you could develop a climate controlled environmet. :p

I've used dozens of parts, paints, products and potions. But all things just start to fade with time.

Depending on the parts you mean, I have found AMK parts to hold up best for "OEM" finishes (yes, they are not 196x parts and exact).

You can go the route of replating, etc. But here it's far more expensive to replate than AMK, and hit-or-miss on results.

So it depends on the level of "correctness" you want and how deep you pockets are to potentially replate a part a few times, or ruin it, in search for the "factory correct finish".

Wire wheeling strips it bare, so it would depend on what you did after. I tried many variations on the theme, and eventually went with POR-15 Manifold Grey applied in two very thin brushed coats for "natural". Everthing else I tried did not hold up as well. Not "correct" but, to me, decent look that is in the spirit of a good restoration.

2c worth...

·
Registered
165 Posts
rangersace said:
I recently restored my engine compartment and either replaced the nuts/bolts/washers with repo's or wire wheeled the originals. Everything looked great for a while but now they are all starting to discolor.

Is there any tricks to keeping the mounting hardware looking like new?

Thanks!
Do you mean discolor from rust or dirt? If it's rust try a light wipe with Boeshield T-9.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Clean with either brake-kleen or laquer thinner. Dry, then clear coat a couple of times. Some judges don't like that. One you can continue to take your car apart....every year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts