Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustangs are an expensive habit...Probably worse than drugs. My question to all of you (especially those with a wife and kids) is how do you get money for your car??

Do you save up?
Do jobs on the side? If so, what?
Tell spouse that the new 500HP engine is needed to get the kids to soccer practice on time??

Just curious because since I've started working on my Mustang, I have spent thousands (in my head that is). The list of upgrades and toys, let alone the necessary repairs, is endless and expensive.

So how do YOU pay for your habit?? I my self will be doing web pages on the side for people and small businesses. Oh and theres eBay of course :)

Thanks,

KoolKat

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
The key to successful addiction to Mustangs is to only use discretionary funds: no mortgage money, no grocery money, no utility money, no retirement funds, etc. Only use funds that you don't need to live day to day.

Live cheap, enjoy Mustangs!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I sell drugs and illegal weapons. Anyone need anything...I want a new shortblock! ::
I all actuality I spend money on the car when I have it to spend. These days the only new thing the car gets is dirt on it. :( Maybe in a few months I will have enough cash to get it to stay cool!
This is my story as of now:
2 new thermostats.......$12
2 new waterpumps........$120
1 BeCool Aluminum Radiator....$500
Still having overheating problems.....Priceless!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
My Mustang habit actually pays ME. ::

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't have anybody to answer to but myself. Can spend as much as I want. (As long as I have it to spend) :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
i work about 50 different jobs from pulling up old carpet to tutoring people on how to use a computer

·
Registered
116 Posts
Already blew my budget this year, so I decided to abandon old hobbies to buy the magnum 500's. Golf clubs, metal detector, R/C plane, etc. were sold. Hadn't used them in years anyway.

Next, I plan to sell my truck and use the $5K out of that to pay for paint and suspension work to convert my fastback into a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
with the very little cash i have left over from work. my budget used to be much bigger until i moved out into the apartment i am in now.

o yeah and large tax returns help out alot ! cant wait for this years woo. disc brake kit for sure ! lol

·
Registered
838 Posts
I like the way I fix my habit the customers pay me to work on the cars. most just say throw the old parts away pick up new ones, (yeh right into my box of extra parts) ok I am ashamed of this....no I don't think so

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i'm only 16, so no kids or wife, but i make my money from 3 jobs; lawn service, home remodeler(with my dad) and a i organize CTC's autosalvage and manage their website. i recently bought a 94 saturn sc2 for $400, and havespent another $500 on parts and tranny, but the cars worth more than i paid. just whatever i can do...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I DONT! Credit Cards doo...and then I move every six months so they can not find me!!!! :p :p

Actually I do it very slowly....lookin for deals along the way!

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Actually my time machine worked really good ! Went back a few dozen years and bought while they were still cheap cars . :p :: :: ::

·
Registered
302 Posts
Save up, $30 dollars a pay check. Then birthday, Christmas and father's day gifts.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Blood, sweat, and tears...sometimes, lots of tears!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I fix other folks cars so I can have money to spend on mine. The newer cars with insurance pay really well. The classics are only "filler" work.

Lstar

1 - 20 of 33 Posts