Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1966 T code coupe
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get this off and secure the new one? I was going to use a little punch or maybe drill it out but I don't want to risk cracking my box.

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts
Drill the rivets. What's wrong with the one that's in the photo? It looks good to me.

·
Registered
1966 T code coupe
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may or may not be good but I figured it's 50+ years old and I bought new seals, heater core etc so I might as well replace that also.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think you can pry the plastic retainers out a little from the front, and then the backside will compress and the whole rivet-assembly will be able to slip right through the hole. When the pin is pushed in it causes the backside to expand so the resistor plate doesn't fall out of the heater box. Use a razor blade or a very this screwdriver to pull the rivets forward a little until the whole thing can be removed.

Reactions: jrock

·
Registered
28 Posts
Push the center part of the pin out (toward the resistor) Wiggle it through the four prongs in the second picture. The pin will then detach. Squeeze the prongs together and push it out of the box. When you insert the pin it splays or forces the prongs out, holding it in place. Be careful and reuse them as they are not reproduced (to my knowledge). I broke mine when I rebuilt my heater box and had to use small black machine screws and nuts. Also, put a little strip caulk around the hole and sandwich it between the resistor when you reassemble it foran airtight seal.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yours looks good.
When reinstalling, make sure the coils don’t touch each other.

I still have my original in my heater box after rebuild.

As long as the spot welds are good on connections, I’d reuse it.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
if its not broke dont replace it
I can bet my life your 50yo part is 1000 times better than what youre putting in

Reactions: bsolo66

·
Registered
77 Posts
thanks @Woodchuck. havent had to mess with this yet as i had to throw my heater assembly away since it was so bad. So in other words the motor wont work in the lower speed if i remove the resistor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts