Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I bought a new p-brake handle but the old sleeve is on there with a knurled pin and I can't get it out. I also can't get a drill in there to drill it out and don't have access to a right angle drill. So my next thought was to pull the rod out and do it on a bench. I released the hanger mounting bolts and the wheel pully for the cable at the firewall. Now what? My lousy book doesn't have anything on removing this? Do I have to remove the cable from underneath the car somewhere? How does the rod slip out? 67 Stang coupe.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Drive the pin in, this will move it to the center position and you can slide the handle off. The push the pin back through. Don't drive the pin too far or else you'll have to cut the handle off.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just did a similar thing on my '66. I had the whole assembly out of the car because it was completely frozen. I tapped the pin in and had to cut a slit in the sleeve to get it off. I was just careful not to damage the long shaft with the notches in it. Then the knurled pin just came out of the shaft once the sleeve was off.
If you want to remove the assembly you'll find that if you reach under the dash and hold the spring loaded "stop" up, you can push the handle further in that normal. I hope that makes cense. It's the little metal wedge that clicks into the notches when you pull the handle. This will allow you to remove the cable at the back of the shaft. I can't recall if you have to pull off the pully in order to free the ball at the end of the cable.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
I remember having to remove the pulley to get enough slack to disconnect the cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts