Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a '68 coupe and a 4yo. I only have lap belts on all seats. What do you guys do to take your kid for a ride? Do they ride up front or in back? Do you use a booster or full car seat? Is the safest place the back seat in an old car?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
well, back in the day in the late 60s my dad threw me on his lap and let me steer and beep the horn went we went places.
but those days are long over

theres a guy who shows up at every sunday at our local breakfast meet with 2 booster seats in the rear of his 66 secured by the lap belt.
but his kids are l little older I think 7 and 9

not sure if thats legal but no one locked him up yet AFAIK

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
My kids have always liked riding in the Mustang cause they can go in the front seat (no airbags). When they were tiny I strapped the huge car seat in the front, as they got older the booster seats would go in the front or back.

Lap belts aren’t the safest though... my daughter has flopped in her booster seat more than once and bonked her head on the front seat or side window frame when seated in back. I try and stick them in the front seat whenever possible where I have installed 3 point belts.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Current law:

Children ages 8 until 18 must be restrained in a child safety seat or seat belt. Children age 1 year or older or until age 8 and more than 20 lbs. must be properly restrained in a federally approved child passenger restraint system. ... Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense.
It's changing Jan 1, 2020 to this insanity:

Children shorter than 4 feet 9 inches will be required by law to sit in booster seats beginning in 2020. ... Beginning January 1, 2020, children under 4 feet 9 inches who have outgrown the child harness car seat will be required by law to sit in a booster seat. And if they don't, their parents can be ticketed.
My mom is 4'11". She would have been in a booster seat until like 12 or 13.

I'd go with those guidelines.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
My sons have ridden in my Mustang since just after birth, lap belt through a seat base and then the rear-facing child seat with harness clicked in...later the lap belt went through a forward-facing seat belt with harness...later still, I added 3-point seat belts to the back for use with a booster but they didn't need them long because they got taller really quickly. I'm adding 3-point belts to the front of the Emberglo car and eventually the Nightmist car that I am restoring with each of them.

Attachments

Reactions: Jr_Palm and 65 Pony

·
Registered
295 Posts
I see someone already pointed out the utility of duct tape. Where that is insufficient, I find staple guns to be effective as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I learned to drive sitting on my mother's lap, steering her 53 Chrysler Windsor. Then I transitioned to my grandfather's farm truck to learn how to shift. Today's snowflake liberals and their overprotected offspring are missing out on life. God help us all.
I'm 50, grew up in the 70s. We've learned alot about automobile safety in the last 100 years. It has nothing to do with "snowflakes" or liberals. My job as a father is to protect my son. Not tie him to the roof with rope and tell him that the way Ma Clampett did it in the 1960s. If I was raising a snowflake liberal I'm fairly certain he wouldnt be in a 1968 Mustang as opposed to a Toyota Prius. I also dont kickstart my 2 stroke dirt bike. I electric start my 4 stroke. Some things improve as time goes by.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Truth is, a vintage Mustang is about as safe as a motorcycle in a crash. We've seen these cars after they get hit and it aint pretty. I seriously wouldn't haul a toddler anywhere in my car. Not only that, there are 5-6 times as many cars on the road today as there were in 1965.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Got a '68 coupe and a 4yo. I only have lap belts on all seats. What do you guys do to take your kid for a ride? Do they ride up front or in back? Do you use a booster or full car seat? Is the safest place the back seat in an old car?
We've been taking our 4 yr old in our '68 Vert for over 3 yr now. We have always had her in the front seat with a full sized car seat. I welded in a tab on the floor for the tether strap to attach to. She will be 5 in Feb. and at that point we will probably go to the back seat since she like to kick and I don't want the glove box to take the hit. . Our reasoning for the front seat was to avoid the wind--not applicable in your case though. I think the back seat is safer but don't know how I would attach a booster seat with only a lap belt....something to think about over the winter.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Lay them on the package tray under the back window. That where I use to ride in our '66 Falcon.
LOL, I rode that way too in early '70's T-Birds....I remember to this day getting my head wedged between the tray and the window...Dad had to get me free. Cool memories.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had three-point seatbelts installed in the back so my little one would be as safe as possible in a 53 year old car. I don’t know about you, but I like my snowflake liberal children to be in one piece. If that makes me a liberal, well so be it.

Reactions: Jr_Palm

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
LOL, I rode that way too in early '70's T-Birds....I remember to this day getting my head wedged between the tray and the window...Dad had to get me free. Cool memories.
I remember laying in the 1964 Dodge station wagon, at the rear window, since my dad had piled up suitcases in the cargo area, and made a pallet even with the bottom of the rear window. My mom was driving by herself, 3 kids, and had to panic stop due to a lady running a stop light. All three kids were layered on the front floor, me on top, with a nice crescent depression by my left eye socket from the radio knob (bent the radio shaft). I have NEVER seen my mom so totally unglued, tearing into that woman.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts