Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally able to read some posts and I am about 1600 behind. :: I need to take a shifter handle apart. How do you get the reverse "T" bar loose from the cable to remove it? It is a 4 speed shifter...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Turn the shifter handle upside down and find the lock out tang. You will notice it has silver solder on the bottom.
Grind off the solder until you see the hole. Now take a small punch and drive the cable thru the tang. To reassemble the handle you will need to go to the bicycle shop and purchace a brake cable ($2) as you will never get the old one back together. Cut one of the knobs off the new cable and poke thru the tang, then solder with silver solder. Then trim off excess cable. Do not use regular solder as it will pull thru. Also make note of the spring and washers and their order of placement as you take the handle apart. They are inside the handle somewhere in the middle of the shaft. It's finiky work but my shifter now works and looks great.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sure does. It rattles because the cable has stretched over time. If you turn the shifter upside down you'll likely notice that the little lever is not flush with the bottom of the base. It will hang down usually 1/4". When you solder the new cable in, make sure the lever is flush with the bottom of the base. This may take three hands to accomplish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts