Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone telll me please the main ways to tell an original '66 Styled Steel Wheel from a repro?

Are there any obvious numbers/logos stamped in the wheels--or are there only subtle clues for the trained eye?

Thank you very much,

Neil Madison

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
First start with how the center is attached to the rim. If they are welded then they are repo (original ones were riveted)

Watch for the fake rivets and the "hidden" welds on some copies

Hope this helps

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
:: Plus if you have to put tubes in to maintain air pressure , they're probably originals. ::

And the repros are a much better wheel , gov't regs and all now a days .

·
4,140 Posts
Mine do not leak and they are not repo's :: fd

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Keeping in mind that the originals are now over 35 years old, GOOD originals may not be easy to find. If you should get so lucky, covet your find because, IMNSHO, the repos are not better. Have had three different sets of 65 style and the chrome was not good. A man here had to get another set after his lost the chrome and took on a nickel finish. Terrible. The brand of my last set was Pro Products. They were marginal at best. The originals that I had on a 66 did not leak. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I currently have a set of 67 Styled Steel Wheels listed for sale that I fear may be incorrectly listed as "Original" . I Was told by the previous owner that they were the wheels that came with the car when it was delivered.

The center section appears to be both welded and riveted. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the construction was the same for 67 wheels as it was previously stated for 66 wheels.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts