Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I rode in our 68 last week and she had trouble getting her window up. She pulled probably a bit too hard on the handle and now it isn't moving the window at all.

I took the door apart last night and the handle just spins and spins. Is the regulator shot (and is there any repair)? I can move the window up and down with my hands, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the track.

Should I just replace the regulator? It seems to have already been replaced once because it has a big "MADE IN TAIWAN" sticker on it.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Replace it. Mine did the same thing. I don't think you can rebuild them.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
speckledpig said:
it has a big "MADE IN TAIWAN" sticker on it.
Sad to say, that's part of the problem right there.....

A friend of mine has a Rolls Royce from the mid '50's that he brings to cruise nights. Really nice shape. We got talking about parts, and he told me that RR makes every part for every RR ever sold since the Silver Ghost (yes, that one from 1903 or whatever). If you have Mulliner conversions or out-of-house conversion parts you're outa luck, but the standard RR cars, if you need a whattzit for your 1933 RR, just give 'em a call.

Now wouldn't that be nice if we had that for Mustangs, things like bumpers and window regulators, mouldings and etc. etc. etc. ....

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
jfstang said:
A friend of mine has a Rolls Royce from the mid '50's that he brings to cruise nights. Really nice shape. We got talking about parts, and he told me that RR makes every part for every RR ever sold since the Silver Ghost (yes, that one from 1903 or whatever). If you have Mulliner conversions or out-of-house conversion parts you're outa luck, but the standard RR cars, if you need a whattzit for your 1933 RR, just give 'em a call.

Now wouldn't that be nice if we had that for Mustangs, things like bumpers and window regulators, mouldings and etc. etc. etc. ....
I've wondered about that several times with Ford. With the popularity of the Mustang and the fact they have discontinued many service parts the past 10 years why they didn't just keep producing them. Maybe they wouldn't be so much in the red. Parts is a big business.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I rebuilt my regulator. After I dissasembled them and found out what broke(the small .5" x 1.5" round pot metal disc with the steel shaft the handle attaches to and a spring wrapped around it). I had a machine shop make the internal round part. I took him parts and showed him what it looked like and he made me a pair of them for 80.00. I put it all back together in the housing and used a few small bolts w/nuts & lock washers to hold the cover on the housing in leu of the rivits. It works as good as an original.
I have found it sometimes better to rebuild an original Ford pc than to use a cheap repop.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,699 Posts
Mine were screwy when I got the car. Hard to roll up and tended to drop back down a half inch after being rolled all the way up.
I looked at new regulator "assemblies" but was reluctant to replce them with Taiwan parts. Upon inspection I found that my "scissors" were just fine, the rollers only needed freeing and relubing. I found the trouble in the actual "regulator" or crank assembly, the part with the handle shaft sticking out of it. It's held to the scissors assembly by a couple of 1/8" steel rivets. I found '79-93 Mustangs used the identical regulators though the scissors assemblies are radically different. Even the center screw holes to hold the handles on.I drilled out the rivets, and put them on my '67's scissors with regular hardware store steel pop rivets. My windows now roll up and down with two fingers. And they stay where they are put. Plus they are still genuine Ford. The late model windows are much thinner and lighter along with the asseblies being different. The result seems to be that the regulators seems to suffer very little wear, unlike with our older setups.
I also found along the way that similar years of Ranger pickups use these regulators too but the handle shaft is about 1/4" longer than Mustangs. If that info happens to be useful to anyone.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
GypsyR said:
I also found along the way that similar years of Ranger pickups use these regulators too but the handle shaft is about 1/4" longer than Mustangs. If that info happens to be useful to anyone.
That must be what everyones repro regulators are as all the ones I've tried the shaft is around 1/4" too long, including the supposedly superior Scott Drake regulators. The SD's work well but are not correct. I ended up searching out and paying for NOS regs as all the originals I bought on fleebay were worn out...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts