Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this set up would work:
1991 Ford Explorer w/ towing package and 4WD.
Uhaul flatbed trailer.

The towing capacity of the explorer is 5000 lbs. I know my mustang chimes in around 3000-3100 lbs, plus 1000 lbs for the trailer. Has anyone towed their mustang with an SUV? I want to tow it about 300 miles for my wedding. I would drive it but it needs some more work before it undertakes a trip that long.

Any suggestions? I may just rent a Uhaul truck for the day and tow it that way, thus saving wear and tear on my truck.

Thanks.

Slade

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use the Explorer, it has enough suspension problems without adding the weight you want to tow. You and your Mustang can wind up on its top....

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I rent a trailer from U-Haul for when I tow..they have some pretty strick regs about the towing vehicle..they usually require a full size pick-up or better..I think an explorer is a bit light for towing another car..I would get a truck from U-Haul and do it right

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
The Explorer will pull it just fine, I have a friend who uses one for that. It's kind of like when I used to pull a U-haul trailer with my 1985 full-size Bronco. There is plenty of pulling power, but it's a shorter wheelbase and higher center of gravity, so you have to be a little extra careful. Since you're only going 300 miles, just take it easy and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Two wheel trailers are more dangerous and unstable than tandem axle. I pull a 19' bass boat and wont use anything but a tandem axle, I had a 17' with two wheel and it was unstable in curves....

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I agree with your post about the Bronco as it doesn't have a tendancy to roll when conditions get dangerous. The explorer isn't designed to have the tonge weight the trailer with a car on will place on it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
on a 2 wheel car trailer (dolly) you put 2 of the car wheels on the trailer and the other pair stay on the ground. So there are still 4 wheels on the ground. A 2 wheel dolly is about 1/4 the weight of a flatbed. When the toe vehicle is marginal the 750 pounds can make a difference.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've towed for years with 1/2 ton vehicles and can tell you, at least from my experience, that your combo would probably be marginal. Things like keeping it out of OD and adding a trans cooler will help. Be sure to get the car "balanced" on the trailer over the axles, leave yourself plenty of braking room, and make sure all tires are properly inflated (low trailers tires will smoke a trans...ask me how I know)

My rig now is a 16ft trailer and F350 Powerstroke!

Good luck.

Jeff

ps. I see the saying of "Trailers are for Queens", etc. I disagree...,"Trailers are for very loud, hot, and marginally street legal Mustangs that will taken out and have the crud run out of them risking major breakage"

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't. Uhaul trailers weight more than 1,000 lbs (they're built to take a fair amount of abuse) and the surge brakes are marginal and the Explorer brakes are weak. Uhaul trailers at short (around 14' beds and require getting the car up to the front of the tralier to use their tie-down system). This means the tongue weight is higher than you would like.

If you have a manual trans you will melt the plastic pieces on the throwout bearing. The auto with the 4x4 (even in 2 wheel) has too much parasitic loss.

Rent or borrow a truck with a V8, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Bob.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replys.

I've done a lot of towing before...but it was usually with a huge van designed for it. The more I've thought about it...the more I think I'll rent a Uhaul truck and trailer...my explorer does not have a rig for trailer brakes and I will be doing a lot of hills. I may be forced to rent anyways...only due to the fact that my explorer may be sold by then...

Thanks again.

Slade

1 - 12 of 12 Posts