Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shag has one but after tearing into it I can't see how it would give during an accident. Which part accordian's inward? The lumps along the steering tube are covered by a hard plastic and when I tried to apply pressure, I got total resistance.

Is it the idea of the shock being transmitted up through the steering column get absorbed by this section of the steering column? Or is it based upon the driver smashing their check onto the steering wheel and it collapses? I can't think the latter after seeing how all is fastened.

Maybe but probably I am way off base.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,705 Posts
The lower "accordion" lumpy looking section collapses. It won't until hit with a pretty good head-on impact.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it accordians upward upwards towards the drive? So, since the lumpy section is between the firewall and the driver, the amount of energy required to affect this area has to be pretty hard, getting pass the block and front end suspension. In other words by the time the energy gets to the bottom of the accordian section "Ki$$ you buttocks goodbye"

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
The general theory seems to be that the steering wheel/upper section collapses towards the steering box as the body hits it. I guess the box could come up but the odds of bending the frame rail/box up before you hit the wheel seem a bit long to me. But I guess it could happen if the car were hit from the front with no one in it to hit the steering wheel. In any case, hitting either end hard enough will collapse the accordion bit. Action/reaction....

Inside the accordion bit is a two part D shaped shaft. The upper section sleeves over the lower IIRC. The entire upper column/shaft sleeves/clamps into the dash mounting bracket. The torque for the nuts mounting the column to the bracket are noted as "control items, affects compliance to federal regulations", seems the clamp is designed to hold the column in place until the driver hits it, then it slides through the bracket/clamp and collapses the accordion section... a slight improvement on the spear-o-matic design of 65-67... Don't think I'd ever want to test it... :p

Just had mine completely apart for resto/new switch...

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow,
3 pt belt system for shag as well.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
yea, the 65-66 one is freakin scary.....

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Yes.... mount this sucker in and think how much "give" there is when you hit it... :shocked: Ouch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts