Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, from what I've been reading, mach1's were really just a tape and stripe package. How or why would Ford change the vin to an 05 just by adding a few stripes outside and a bit of fake wood inside...I can understand the marketing side of it, but to change the vin over it?
All the good bits on my car come as a standard addition as a result of the m code engine which the car was ordered with and very little to do with the 05 in the vin. Am I missing something...

cheers to all...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
It was more than a tape and stripe package.

Stripes
hood scoop
styled steel wheels
fender emblem delete
minimum 351W 2V(H,M,S,Q,R)
deluxe interior except for seatbelts
9 inch rearend
63C body code
highback bucket seats
hood pins?
vinyl inserts in carpet
dual exhaust(on 351 4V or bigge)?
exhaust cutout rear valance(351 4V or bigger)?
blacked out hood
racing mirrors
rocker panel molding?
pop open gas cap
rimblow steering wheel

The question marks indicate things I'm not sure were part of the Mach 1 package.

·
Registered
82 Posts
JimNiki said:
Guys, from what I've been reading, mach1's were really just a tape and stripe package.
Careful, you don't want to de-value your Mach1 do you? As a Mach1 owner, you're supposed to tell us it's special! ;)
Will we see that nice red Stang at The Manhattan on Sunday?

Evan.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Depends on what year you are talking about.

Your description is for a '70. In 71, the package was reduced considerably. I think the '71-up VIN code was just a carry over, not like it was necessary.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
IIRC the first year Ford offered the Mach1 package there was no VIN change, it was only in the subsequent years the VIN was changed.

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Yes, I was speaking of 69-70. I noticed what year he had after I posted. In 69, the 05 code was not present to indicate a Mach 1. In 69, the code was the same as all other sportroofs.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Quite a bit more to a Mach 1 than just a stripe and faux wood applique' package. To add to the long list of changes that were mentioned above I believe that the Mach 1's came with a sport suspension with stiffer springs than a base Mustang.

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hemikiller ..what you said makes sense for 71-73 considering that there is nothing intrinsically unique about a 71 mach1.
(Maybe apart from the word" mach1 inside. hehehe)
The rest my friends is all smoke and mirrors brought to you by Ford marketing...

So somebody in 71 could have ordered an "02" with an M code, 9 inch, deluxe interior,stripes etc to make it look identical to a mach1 and yet not be a mach1...not that they would...

hhhmmm... cheers...

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
JimNiki said:
So somebody in 71 could have ordered an "02" with an M code, 9 inch, deluxe interior,stripes etc to make it look identical to a mach1 and yet not be a mach1...not that they would...

hhhmmm... cheers...
Absolutely, but only to a point. You could not order just any 71 with the lower body treatment or the side stripes, sport lamp grille, urethane bumper, painted fender trim, etc. Those were only available on the Mach 1, B351, or the sports Hardtop in the spring of '71. In '72, you could get them on the coupe or convertible only, in the Decor Group. This isn't to say that you couldn't buy the parts and do it in your garage, which I'm sure was pretty common.

FWIW, The 71~3 Mach, in it's most basic form, was an appearance and handling package, nothing more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts