Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a dunce I guess... I looked underneath the pedals and couldn't really see anything to speak of. I figured at least one of you would've put some NOS pedals onto your ponies, and mine is IN DEFINITE NEED of it! Anyone that can help I'll be very appreciative to. You guys helped me re-wire my shifter light, so this ought to be a piece of the proverbial cake!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The gas pedal attaches to the bellcrank with a pin that goes through the back of the pedal and the bellcrank arm. I believe the pin has a cotter pin. The brake pedal attaches to the underdash support via a rod that goes through the pedal arm. At the end of that rod is a clip. Remove the clip, slide out the rod, and the pedal will drop.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hmm, what year is your stang? I'm going to assume 67-68. Also, when you say pedal replacement, are you referring to the rubber or the entire assembly?

Rubber removal:

The gas pedal is removed by taking out the "accelerator pedal mounting screw" found behind the rubber where it meets the throttle arm, beneath the dash board. There is a spring in there too, so be careful not to bend it.

The brake/clutch pedal rubber (depending if you have deluxe or not) either just pull off (non-deluxe), or you have to bend the stainless tabs back, remove them, and peel the rubber off (deluxe).

Pedal Assembly removal:

If you're just looking to remove the entire pedal assemble, including bracket, the throttle linkage must be disconnected from the firewall and carburetor (and tranny if you have an auto) and the gas pedal rubber still has to be pulled (see above) to get the linkage out. The brake/clutch/bracket assemble is removed only after the steering column is taken out. There are a few bolts/nuts to the dash, and a few more to the firewall (into the power brake booster, if applicable.) The steering column is also connected to the steering box via two nuts in the engine compartment.

Thespazardman

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers, guys.

I was only referring to the rubber pads, not the entire assembly. My actual pedals are so old and crappy that I NEED some new ones... Thank you much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts