Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a ghost in my machine! OEM radio spontaneously began receiving 12V power although ignition is NOT in the "on" or "accsy" position. Worked when keyed for the last 8 months or so then BOOooo, radio operates without being keyed through ignition. This is only the latest in a string of weird spontaneous occurrences. Guessing my recently deceased uncle is still driving His car when I'm away. This isn't normal...or is it? ?:oops:o_O

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
I recommend disconnecting the battery when you're not in it before you return to a car that's on fire, at least until you can find the short.

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Be sure to check your fuse block. Your radio should be on a separate fuse. If you're getting water dripping on the fuse block, it can short out that circuit which should only have power with the key on. If you pull out the fuse and the radio still works, then it's going to be tracing wire harness time. And, yes, disconnect the negative battery cable when you're away from the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be sure to check your fuse block. Your radio should be on a separate fuse. If you're getting water dripping on the fuse block, it can short out that circuit which should only have power with the key on. If you pull out the fuse and the radio still works, then it's going to be tracing wire harness time. And, yes, disconnect the negative battery cable when you're away from the car.
Will do. THX

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
i doubt it space aliens or the paranormal
sounds like the Ignition switch is not fully disengaging at times. it might me caked up with lint and grease or just worn out. maybe a mis aligned contact

Id turn the radio up all the way and start jiggling and poking around and see if you can pin point it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts