Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like I'll have the pleasure of driving my car, bone-stock soon, which I hadn't planned on, but I ain't complainin' :: I had originally planned to have the other one driveable (stock) first, but I won't, hence the question. I've driven some cars that are a little umm...uncomfortable at 40mph down some of the better backroads around here. How well do these things handle, dead stock on tiny tires?

My poster-child for crap is my dad's truck, but the steering is FUBAR in that anyway, along with a glorious abscence of power and throttle response, and a tendency to slide in gravel, I hate it. I sure hope a stock Mustang does better!

The truck is basically MS, due to a blown Hydroboost, but it never lightens up with speed, as I suppose a MS car should. That is one thing I hate about it, not high effort, just stiff! Should a manual car loosen and lighten effort with speed?Insight is appreciated.
Thanks
--Kyle
PS: I AM bored, so if it's dumb, sorry! ::

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Better backroads? you've got to be kidding me Kyle remember I have BEEN to Athens :)

My '67 is still stock in the suspension and steering dept. Not too bad on the roads. I drove it to New Martinsville WV for a show...not the most comfy drive, but after I put the top up, I didn't get hit with stones from the semi's on 77.
keep your chin up...lucky for you...you are young and have lots of time. It will happen....be patient grasshopper ;)
One of Alicia's friends at Hocking says the govt. should euthinise (sp) anyone over the age of 45...that means I have 3 years left to get my car done :)
Drive it and see how bad it is....the road salt would make my want to cry though.
Let me know how it handles.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
About 1/10 as good as my 93 Acura. But fun none the less.
Lots that you can do to improve it but it will never be as good as modern technology. :no:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
My daily driver is a near bone stock (Holley carb instead of the Motorcraft) '65 Mustang Coupe and possible GT - it has all the GT equipment except either Ford goofed on the VIN with the T code or it's the most high optioned I6 Mustang I've everseen.

Anyway, with the handling suspension and the higher steering ratio steering box I have no problems turning the steering wheel or parking. Driving the speed limit it seems fine to me but I grew up with the antiquated tech.

What peturbs me the most is I can only muster 16 MPG with it.

Dean T

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The suspension on both of my kids' '69s are pretty stock. They both have upgraded shocks and wide tires, and daughter's car does have an export brace. They don't drive bad, especially for someone like me that's driven hot rods most of his life, but they don't compare to modern cars.

My '66 and '69 both have lowered springs, stiffer springs, monte carlo bars, export braces, and 1" sway bars. They both, actually, handle quite nicely ::

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
It's about like sleding down a hill on a saucer sled while standing up. My car is a 1970 and has the competion suspension and polyglas F 70 tires. Maybe not quite that bad but you get the idea.
A guy in our club has a bone stock 302 boss and he auto crossed it. When cobra mustangs were running about 1:30 around the track if memory serves me he ran around 1:45.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have three cars the first two are a 69 Mach 1 and the second is a 66 GT fastback. I have replaced every piece of the steering and every piece of the suspension including steering boxes on both of these cars. I have used the best of parts I could buy and they both have very expenise tires that are much wider them stock. Both these cars can be driven on pavement at speeds of up to 100 miles an hour by almost anyone and you are not uncomfortable doing it. They also corner much better then our new cars that we drive everyday. I was telling one of my friends this and he wouldn't beleive it so I let him drive one of them and had him push it. His comment to me after was that any he had ever had didn't handle like that, my answer back was none of yours ever had the kind of money I have spent on my cars spent on his. You are right that you can't make them handle as well as some of the new cars but really if they are well done they will out handle a lot of the cars on the road. The things they won't do is get the gas milage or run as quietly down the road. But overall they are way more fun to drive at least for me anyway.
Al

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I think the '66 is fine on the road, the only thing done to it as far as handling is the "Shelby drop" and roller perches
Then again, it doesn't autocross. It's just a topdown cruiser ::

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
As the others have said, some modest suspension upgrades will do wonders. I've added a 1" front bar, KYB shocks, export brace along with 205/60X15's in front with 225/60X15's in the back. I've also removed the PS. I've found the simple mods I did make a big difference. Power steering hides sins such as low air pressure in tires. With manual steer, you notice it pretty quick. I grew up on manual steering and manual 4 wheed drums. As long as you watch the air pressure, don't get too crazy on the tires, you'll be fine. Also when parking, just as long as you're moving a little bit, it eases effort quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Both my early model cars are stock with the exception of radial tires. Although it they don't handle as well as my Freestyle they handle better then my 51 Ford or 50 Chebby did. After 39 years of driving you get use to their limitations.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Better backroads? you've got to be kidding me Kyle remember I have BEEN to Athens :)
I was being charitable :winkgrin: They are pretty bad. I guess I have my answer. At least I know it won't be as bad as my friend doing 55 in BFE in a 1ton dually with me in the passenger seat :horror: I'll be driving mine, maybe come springtime. Then, I'll start in on the suspension mods ::
Kyle

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Not great. It makes a nice highway cruiser and is OK around town when not stressed.

But it is NOT a performance vehicle. It is clearly not up to today's standards in ride, turning or braking. The manufactures have learned a lot in 40 years!

Just be aware of that and you will be OK.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
YEEEHAWWW !!! my motto is: If we are going to mess around...I want to DRIVE !!
How are your tires on it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can do alright with a basically stock mustang. With nothing more than a 1 1/8 sway bar, kyb's and decent tires I used to take down many new at the time(mid 90's)cars through a tight canyon by my house. Alot depends on the driver. Good tires are a must though. I also had front discs with good pads wouldnt have dreamed of doing that with drums.

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
As I've mentioned before, my stock 71 mach 1 (stock suspension, PS, PB) makes my teeth rattle when I cross over railway tracks, it steers like a barge, has the turning circle of an ocean liner, have to talk loudly to speak to the SWMBO, but to me that's normal!

Then I jump in my new (work) camry, can't even tell that the motors on!, brakes on a dime, comfortable to drive ...but hey who gives a rats ...it's just a stupid camry! It's the car you drive when you're resting from the "other" one! hehehe.

I'm a big fan for nostalgia.
I like to use things the way they were used in their day.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Mine handles and drives great and i love to drive it. But it cost a SH$#^&%$#T load to get it that good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts