Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the spray dye for my dashpad. It's held up perfectly for nearly 6 years, but it's never really touched. How durable would the dye be for a deluxe door panel when it always has an arm on it, or even seat upholstery?

Does this type of dye actually penatrate the fabric and dye it in the traditional sense, or is it esentially just paint with a flexing agent added?

Has anyone out there actually used it on their seating and had it last for any length of time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I feel I can answer all of these questions.

Vinyl dye holds up very well on things that do not come into regular contact with contaminants from hands, etc, and are not rubbed against on a daily basis. Things such as dashpads and door panels are fine to re-dye. However, re-dying upholstery is a bad idea. I re-dyed my backseats about 3 weeks ago, taking all the precautions I could, and the dye is flaking off in places already from just occasional passengers back there (and my girlfriend and myself on occasion, errr..)

Vinyl dye does NOT actually dye the fabric - It is merely a paint with a flexing agent, as you said. It's more flexible than laquer and is made for softer surfaces but is little more than interior lacquer.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree with L20068, if you're dyeing vinyl. Fabric is another story, though. The '93 Mustang seats we put in my daughter's '69 coupe where a light blue. We died them with spray fabric dye, making them black. This was 2 years ago, and lasted through 2 swim seasons as they got damp from wet swimmers getting in the car (daughter was on the high school swim team). They still look great today.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I pretty much knew the answer about the seats, but asked anyway. I think I'll risk it on the door panels though. If they were standard, I would just buy arm rest pads in the new color. But they're pony panels and the arm rest is of course integral. Maybe I can just train my left elbow to not sweat!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After giving it some more thought, I now wonder how easily the dye would scrub back off? For instance, if I dyed the door panels and it just wouldn't stay on where my arm rubs, I wonder if I could scrub the rest of it off with a nylon bristle brush and have the panels back to their original color?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
It should be fine on your door panels as long as you take care in re-dying them. Prep the surface well with warm water and soap, and allow it to dry. Wipe it down the a soft, CLEAN towel (good quality paper towels are good) and then spray down a few light coats of vinyl dye prep (its a primer for vinyl dye) THEN, after about 10 minutes have passed after the last coat of vinyl prep has been put on, you are free to start dying. Take it slow..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts