Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here so be gentle please.

I need guidance on how early a VIN number is. The VIN is from a 64.5 and ends in ...111084

It came from a hardtop delivered the evening of 4/16/64. I have seen all docos including the original invoice and spoke with the original owner to verify. I am considering the car for a resto and need to know whether it would have any added value because the VIN is very early.

I know how to decode the VIN so no worries there. I just want to know how early in the 64.5 run this car falls.

All responses welcome...

emoore924

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Just over the 11000th made.... I don't think I understand your question fully. They started building Mustangs in early March, and this one was built in mid-April. 1965 production began in August.

I don't think it would be more valuable than your average 64.5 because of this VIN.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

I probably misunderstand this, but according to the decoders I looked at, the VIN number tells you what number car, *any* car, it was out of a particular facility -- in this case Dearborn. So, for all the cars produced in Dearborn (Falcons, Mustangs and whatever else they were making...) this car is the 11084th one off the line since the beginning of the 64 run. However, because they were making cars other than mustangs, the VIN's were comingled with those of other car models.

So..., while this might be the 11084th car off the Dearborn line, it could be the 132nd mustang because there was a gajillion falcons that went off in front of it, or something like that...that's why I was wondering if this was a really early car.

I already found one on that had an earlier VIN#, so that leads me to believe that this is nothing special.

Still clueless /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

emoore924

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
The numbers started with 100001 so your car was the 1084th car produced.

·
Premium Member
19,225 Posts
Mustang Production Guide lists at least 60 prior to yours, and that Guide doesn't list all of the mustangs. You have an early 64.5, but not real early!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Generally speaking, each car line had a different series, so Mustang might start at 100001, and (say) Galaxie might start at 400001. Of course, there were so MANY Mustangs made that they sometimes ended up jumping over other car series' numbers!

In any case, it looks like you've already answered your own question to your satisfaction.

Steve

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
11084th, yes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
built around the 2nd week of April, 1964 with the first mustang being built around the 2nd week of March. i would consider it relatively early. most likely sold the first day they became available, April 17, 1964.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, it was officially delivered 4/17/64. The invoice shows "paid in full" 4/17/64. According to the original owner (current owner) They actually drove it home the evening of 4/16.

All that being said, is there any additional value attributable to the early VIN? While it is assuredly an early car, is it a *NOTABLY EARLY* car -- like one of the first 50 or something, or is it just one of the many thousands of mustangs delivered on the first day...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no, i wouldnt think any more value would be significant enough. a first or second week production car, while intriguing, really isn't worth anymore than a regular 64.5 anyway

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yes, but it is an original owner car. And, I presume, unmolested. This could be a good concourse project. I would like to find a reasonable one owner car.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I also think that because it's an original owner car with all the documentation, it's worth a little more than your "run of the mill" 64 1/2. All things being equal, if I was looking at #2 64 1/2s side by side, both cars in the same shape, etc, but one having 38+ years of unknown history, I'd pick the original owner car with documentation every time. I may go so far as to be willing to pay "slightly" more for that car, even. But that's just me...

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
having the opportunity to talk to the original
owner is certainly something that doesn't happen
much anymore. Look at the 64.5 that is serial
number 100002 that the guy did a research on,
how many owners that car had over the years.
No it may not be worth more than any other 64.5 but
I think it deserves to be saved, it represents
the beginning of the great pony car!

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Unfair to get into a deep conversation with rebuttals and all that without giving us the benifit of all the data. What is the FULL VIN? It would be very difficult to determine when the car was built by the sequence number.

That car was the 11084th car off the line.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Dollar-wise, I'm not sure. But seeing as how it was sold on the first day of the initial Mustang sales, I might think it would have some definite "conversation" value, especially with all the docs and being a one owner car. All other things being equal (decent condition, etc.), if the price is right, I'd buy it.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
We have ome right here in town that's sort of an early one. It's the 1st conv sold in Fla and is still a 1 owner car 5F08F1000112

1 - 18 of 18 Posts