Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have a 69 with a 74 C4 in it right now. It was professionally rebuilt about a year ago but its never quite worked that well (slipping gears, trouble shifting, leaks...) and its definitely annoying taking it to the shop every other month. Soon id definitely like to switch it out for a good manual box and I was wondering how simple this would be before i start tearing stuff out.

I built the engine myself around the same time the box was rebuilt and I know ill need a flywheel as opposed to the flex plate in it now and I think there were some other things in there that were automatic box dependent which would likely be rough on the wallet to replace...

Anyone who has maybe done this before got some insight they'd be willing to share? It's much appreciated!
Tom

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's not an easy in and out type of conversion. Then, considering the parts you'll need (ie: trans, bellhousing, pedal assy, clutch, flywheel, shift levers and probably a driveline), it could be very expensive (unless you already have some of these parts from another car). It would definitely be a lengthy project.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
You should be able to do a search and find numerous threads. You will need:

Transmission
Shifter
Bellhousing
Flywheel
Clutch/Pressure plate
Clutch/Brake pedal assembly
Clutch activation mechanism (z-bar, cable or hydraulic)
Transmission cross member
Driveshaft may need modification

Cost varies depending on if you go new or used and how good you are at fabrication. You could be in the $1,500 to $4k range.

I changed mine from C4 to T5z 15 years ago and love it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I’m going to be in the $2,000 range, and that’s with a rebuilt/upgraded T5z. Things like clutch pedals/linkage, clutch/flywheel, and such can add up. My recommendation would be to not get sucked into thinking you automatically need the fanciest stuff. Think long and hard about the kind of driving you do and plan your parts accordingly. You can save a lot of money by going for OE-replacement or slightly upgraded versions vs the fanciest bling.

·
Registered
21,022 Posts
I did the swap on my 66 about 10 years ago. The most important thing is planning. What transmission you want to use. Next familiarize yourself with the procedure as to exactly what parts are needed. Then it's getting the parts. The more you're in a rush, the more it's going to cost. Probably the most frustrating part is the little, overlooked details like bypassing the neutral and back up wiring.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’m contemplating a switch to manual also, but now am thinking of doing a shift kit on the c-4 until I have accumulated the parts to do the swap. I’m reading/you tubing and will possibly attempt it myself. From what I’ve read it isn’t crazy expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts