Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why I never noticed it before but yesterday I was checking the speedometer cable and saw that the speedometer goes to 140 MPH. I am sure it can't go that fast now and couldn't in 1965. Why the high number and what was the top speed in the 65 with a standard 289 2V?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I do believe the top speed of a stock 289 2v was 110. Correct me if im wrong?

Travis

·
Registered
248 Posts
That sounds about right. I woulda guessed around 110-130 depending on gearing 2v or 4v, 3sp or 4sp etc.

But pretty much in any mildly stock Mustang 140mph is a scary ride!

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Aerodynamics has a lot to do with the speed also. That big hood makes a nice wing, and the front catches a lot of air.

Your gear ratio and your redline tells you theoretically how fast you can go with no resistence. On my coupe with the 3:55's 108 was at 5940 RPM, but that was on the dyno and therefore no wind resistence.

Theres a lot of factors to consider. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Darin,
Yes, 140 mph is kind of a scary ride. I have a stock 69, and I'm guessing that I went about that speed. Speedo only goes up to 120, but I had the needle buried. And you wanna know what the great thing was? I didn't even have the gas pedal down all the way. Man I love it. That was on a major interstate thru town, too. Lucky I didn't get pulled over.

K

·
0 Posts
Why the high number on your speedo?

Well back in those days it was a continuation of subliminal marketing from the 50s. In the 50s V8s started to become the latest in technology, along with automatic transmissions. Powerful V8s were the option that everyone wanted. And how else to show the person walking in the showroom how great your V8 was but to show a high speedo top speed. Back then horsepower was talked about but for the common man/woman in the show room that speedo spoke for the engine. Of course there was a limit that most stuck to usually 120 to 140, didn't want to scare the customers just impress them. ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts