Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be pulling the trans next week and ordering a seal kit for it. I have a small leak where the shift rod comes out of the case. Are there special tools needed to do this?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
No special tools needed. That leakage is coming from a worn out O-ring. The 4 speed while it scares the heck out of some people is actually very easy to rebuild.
Ask for detailed instructions from the supplier. I bought my kit from Dan Williams back in the day..I do believe he photocopied from the factory manual. Follow that and you should be able to tackle it.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
tools needed...standard wrenches..box and open ends. Good allen wrenches...a block of wood..a strong sturdy clean bench..snap ring pliers..and a dead blow hammer.
Some rtv for the paper gaskets.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I rebuilt my T-10. Scared the hell out of me at first and then I called around and got prices for a rebuild and that scared me even more, lol! Ditto to the tools and just following the break down, it's not hard to do at all. And that is a bad or worn o-ring causing your leak. Make sure you pick up a couple extra at the part store as i mangled a few before I got everything back together.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The o rings have to go on the shift levers from the inside so its basically an overhaul. Call Mark @ toploader heaven. He has a kit that has all the basic wear parts,special tools and easy to follow instructions on CD. Plus he's a heck of a nice guy and if you get stuck you can call him and we'll talk you thru whatever is hanging you up.

http://toploaderheaven.com/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's great info. Thanks! I need the input shaft diameter before I order the kit. This car ran the strip most of it's life. I'm sure there will be wear.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
btw there is no force to be used in this rebuild....if you feel you are requiring force or you need to shove something...step back get a beer and re-evaulate.
Remember where the detents go!! And take a picture of you shifter assembly before you take it off the tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts