Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 65 FB that has Shelby style rear quarter windows installed. I would prefer to go back to the stock vents, is that possible? What is done to install them and what would it take to go back? Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
560 Posts
it might be a small project, I imaging you should have to weld some sheet metal or something in place of the window, to bolt on the vents. then you need to get new inside the car panels, which would cover up the hole from the windows.

I am not a professional, so if my info is off, sorry :p

·
Registered
632 Posts
Your probably going to have to find another 1965/1966 2+2 and remove the inner Vent structure and fit and weld it into your Mustang. Pictured below is what your missing.

Marty.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'm glad to see that someone wants to put the vents back in. That looks so much better and is cooler than the windows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

Thanks, I was hoping the outer metal didn't get cut. Now on to the challenge of finding someone with a FB to cut up! If anyone has installed the windows and wants to sell the structure they cut out please let me know.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm glad to see that someone wants to put the vents back in. That looks so much better and is cooler than the windows.
While I can understand why someone would want their car original, I personally think the windows look much better than the vents...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hey Torino, since the piece will not be visible when you are done and all you are looking for is to have the mechanical strength for your vents, I would simply fab up a new piece with the holes in the right place.

Or, perhaps you could offer someone your windows in trade for that piece that they would need to cut out?

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
While I can understand why someone would want their car original, I personally think the windows look much better than the vents...
I like both looks, but the Shelby windows do have the advantage of not having a huge blind spot.

To go back to the original style it would more realistic to have the inner structure fabricated rather than trying to find a donor car.

Z.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hey Torino, since the piece will not be visible when you are done and all you are looking for is to have the mechanical strength for your vents, I would simply fab up a new piece with the holes in the right place.

Or, perhaps you could offer someone your windows in trade for that piece that they would need to cut out?

I agree, to put it back stock you would need the outside louvers, the inside fiberglass panels , all the air extractor "guts" and the structural metal. When I had mine apart for restoration, I counted all the individual pieces and IIRC it was about 90... To gather and buy all these pieces individually would be quite a project in itself.
I would try to find somebody that wanted to do it to their car and offer to buy them a new window kit in exchange for their parts.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Really? I never understood the point of that conversion. I honestly do not like them. The vents are just cool.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I agree with the other comments about having that piece fabricated. It won't be visible and no one will ever know the difference.

I would only use the original parts if they were easily attainable from a wrecked parts car or something.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Recalled this thread as I was flicking throught the NPD catalog. Repro parts with all correct bits to make the vents functional are available...

Restoring American History

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Recalled this thread as I was flicking throught the NPD catalog. Repro parts with all correct bits to make the vents functional are available...

Restoring American History
Wrong part, wrong year. That is the 67/68 interior vent assembly which is not part of the 67/68 unibody. AFAIK the 65/66 vent support portion of the unibody is not reproduced. When Dynacorn gets around to producing 65/66 fastback unibody shells those bits will obviously be reproduced but I tend to doubt those bit will be available for purchase as stand alone parts.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Same part for 65-66 and 67-68 per NPD... 65-66 as a replacement...

If he's considering fabbing up a replacement this may be an alternative to look at for functioning vents.

Didn't say he was going concours and needed OEM. Just posting it as an option to consider.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The NPD linked assembly is not a replacement or substitute to replace the structural unibody metal vent support on a 65/66 fastback. Period. The OP asked about restoring/replacing the vent support structure. The linked NPD assembly mounts in the interior of the car. It may fit or be adaptable to 65/66 fastbacks but it is not what the OP asked about. Different (albeit related) part of the car. I'm not giving you a hard time dalorzof, just don't want anyone to misunderstand or confuse two distinctly different parts of the car. The linked assembly is everything that mounts inside the car against the exterior vent assembly. It is not the exterior vent assembly itself, nor the support for the exterior vent assembly, nor does it include any part of same.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Wow... OK. Sorry to post information, just throwing it out as an option as it appeared it may be relevant. Maybe not.

Obviously one should preview all attempts to be helpful through you before posting...

Lighten up dude.

:bs:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
My vents are out and I can tell you the factory sheet metal is fairly complicated in that area. Not saying it couldn't be fabbed, but having someone bring a car by to use as a sample would be a big help.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Really? I never understood the point of that conversion. I honestly do not like them. The vents are just cool.
Aside from being functional, the car just looks better-balanced with the windows. The vents make the back of the roof look squashed, and they have an unfortunate 'busy' look to them.

Like I said, I can understand someone wanting their car original, but I've never liked the vent look and if I got my hands on a 2+2 that wasn't a pure resto candidate the window swap would be one of the first things on the list.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Aside from being functional, the car just looks better-balanced with the windows. The vents make the back of the roof look squashed, and they have an unfortunate 'busy' look to them.

Like I said, I can understand someone wanting their car original, but I've never liked the vent look and if I got my hands on a 2+2 that wasn't a pure resto candidate the window swap would be one of the first things on the list.
To each his own, I much prefer the vents to the window.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts