Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there done this swap? What is degree of difficulty?Someone told me this is by far the most reliable of the T-5s to use for a swap if I go this route. Also, cable or hydraulic clutch setup? thanks to all

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Do a search..plenty of info. Quick answer...WC t-5 yes good swap..do it yes..easy yes..hydraulic or cable or z-bar..all depends on what you want. Cable depends on headers. z-bar can be used also..Im me for details. Hydraulic is the premium set up..but the cost!

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Check out the archives at www.fordmuscle.com as they have a decent article.

Take your time and do your research. There are many versions of the "World Class" T-5. An OEM T-5 will have a 3.35 ratio for first gear. I found that nearly useless with a 3.55 rear end. The T-5z has a 2.95 first gear which I find much better for my application.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Check out the archives at There are many versions of the "World Class" T-5. An OEM T-5 will have a 3.35 ratio for first gear. I found that nearly useless with a 3.55 rear end. The T-5z has a 2.95 first gear which I find much better for my application.
Yes - and also the T5-z has the highest torque rating (330 lb/ft I believe) and a taller over-drive (.63 compared to the "stock" .68)

I'm running a T5-z in my '86 fox body and LOVE it! Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'm starting this project now w/ my 65 289. Ditto on the T5z on the previous posts. I'm using the hydraulic clutch setup to avoid any interference w/ my long-tube doug thorley headers. I ordered all my stuff from Dark Horse Performance... they seemed pretty cool and had all the stuff I needed for a lower price (slightly). The parts are on their way.

from what everyone is saying, this isn't that hard of a thing to do... i just realized that i'm probably going to have to remove my headers to do the project.. i'm not looking forward to that, but I bet it's the easier alternative to working around them the whole time under the car..

good luck!!

Jay

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
No. No one has EVER done this. Its all new to us. Must be a new thing. The T-5 came out yesterday, too soon to think about putting it in an old Mustang. Our heads are still in the sand as we are wedded to nasty Dagenhams and C-4s. Besides, its too hard, cannot be done. No way. Impossible. Out of the question. Quit scaring us.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And what is the point of your sarcasm LMan? I am new to doing any kind of restomodding on these cars, and didn't think it was a "duh" question. The people on this website have contributed greatly to my Mustang education and training with their nuanced experiences, and wide ranging knowledge. Thanks to you guys for the info on T-5's and the conversion, 351stang

1 - 7 of 7 Posts