Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make 4 of these http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gturner51/Hub_dollie.jpg. They look like 1/8" angle iron...but my question is, without anything in the car (and I mean nothing's in it) what size/rating casters should I use to support it? Do I need anything more than 200lb rated casters? Also, should I make a different mount, maybe something that bolt to all lugs?
Thanks,
Gregg

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
It doesn't look too hard, but I think I would make some changes first.
Cutting the steel would be the hardest, welding it together the second hardest.
I've heard up to 1600 pounds for the shell, so if you did 4 200 pound casters on each corner, and had a smooth level floor, it should work. There is a safety margin on the casters, and I wouldn't think the front rear balance would get more than 600 pounds on a corner. Depending on the surface you're going to use the rests on, you might want to think about rubber wheels.
What scares me about the design is that the verticals aren't trussed. They form a four-bar link, with each corner pinned. A loose bolt would allow the verticals to collapse, or load the living daylights against the side of the studs as shown in the pics. I think scabbing or gusseting the verticals would be safer. It might also be easier/safer to use a thick plate for mounting to the hubs.
Hope this helps,

Carl

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
The basic idea is good but I too have a concern for the truss support. I think instead of attaching to the studs, I would make a tub shaped design that would cradel the drum in between both vertically and horizontally using say heavy-walled 2" square stock, built into a rectangular shape, stacking perpindicularly the stock against each other. Should be very strong, very simple and no bolting/unbolting to secure the vehicle.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
rolling around the whole car on those would suck unless you were on a nice completely flat surface (like a big garage for instance).

If you can find the correct spacing, i would try to use some old disk calipers, weld them up like that, but it needs a side to side support too, not just the 2 front/back ones (get the tripod thing going so when you push sideways the thing doesnt crumple)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts