Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a classic mustang and I have across a few that do not have power steering or power brakes. I am aware that you can add power brakes at a moderate expense but can you add power steering? If so, what is a ballpark figure of having this done? It is worth waiting on one with power options? How much does it hurt the resale if the car does not have these options?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Yes you can, But, I've heard more people changing the power steering over to manual steering than the other way. I've got manual steering & have never had a problem.
Power brakes or disc brakes are another story. I know that front disc brakes offer a lot more stopping power than drum.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Cruzer is right. Conversion to front disk brakes is a highly recommended safety modification. No power steering on my stang and I don't miss it. The steering wheel is oversize by comparison to contemporary models, which probably was meant to make it easier to turn. Build up those biceps and parallel park your stang simultaneously.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I added p/s to mine, not too bad of a job. Some people don't mind manual steering, but with a heavy 351c in mine, it was pretty hard to parallel park before. My mom has a '67 vert with a 289 and manual steering, it steers pretty easily.

Joe

·
Registered
547 Posts
I added PS to the vert, SWMBO's car so I wanted power options so she could drive it without much trouble. I only drove it in the yard without it and was really glad when I got it working :winkgrin:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have two 66s one with and one without. If your going to be in town in tight places alot might be a big deal. I cruise the open road alot and wouldnt spent the money to put it on the coupe. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If its an original manual steering, (as opposed to a power steering box with the pump dettached, but still) I don't think it should be too hard. Its more of a chore having manual brakes, at least I think so.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Manual steering doesn't require that much effort.......

Manual brakes are borderline dangerous IMO.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
My wife use to drive a 65 fastback with manual. No problems at all. A power steering car with power steering box is a bit difficult when it isn't hooked up. I blew a line parking at the shelby show in Dearborn this year. Nothing like a pool of red oil right in front of your car...I didn't open the hood that day.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I went to largr front tires, and a smaller steering wheel and driving around town, in and out of parking spaces was murder, especially if other cars were close by, so I couldn't get it rolling first. :: Just added PS to make the car drivable around town. Before the change, with stock tires and steering wheel, it was not bad though. Stock brakes are not even a consideration in my opinion: if you are driving more than back and forth from the trailer, upgrade brakes. Lose concours points, save lives. My 2 cents. (Hey, anyone else noticed that their computer does not have a symbol for "cents" anymore?) river

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I would not do without PS. I pan on converting to disk using period correct parts on both my 64 1/2 and 66 except for the MC. Of course the 65 has front disk. I may change the MC.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
the '66 coupe I just test drove had manual\manual. The steering was a lot better then the '62 chevy I use to have. The brakes will be on my priority list of things to deal with if I buy it.

K

·
0 Posts
Also realize that PS of old isn't comparable to today's sensitive PS. Mine is more like a rudder on a boat. Lots of play, one finger operation and easy turning but no real feedback or great control feeling.

Also check out rack and pinion PS.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Tranny will make a diference. My 68 has a 3 speed manual with no power steering. It's a bear to parallel park on a hill. The 67 is the opposite, auto tranny and power steering. Nobody in my family want's to drive the 68. I think my son has...wife won't go near it. However, I'll never add power to the 68, it will stay original.
Dave

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I agree about the tranny. If you have an automatic you can use both hands all the time and you can probably get by with manual steering (although you may be astounded by the amount of effort it takes to parallel park with wide tires, manual steering and a lot of positive caster).

If it is a stick, forget the manual steering. Even in my youth I could not "one-hand" the steering wheel in my manual steering Mustang.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts