Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not got my car to the stage yet where I can install the fuel and brake lines, but the rear end lines fit badly.

The bends and offsets in the lines are terrible and looks like I will have to do some work bending them and just getting them to look good.

The clip on the axle housing is about 2 inches away from the line.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
No. Typically the lines I have used were close enough that rough handling when they were packed for shipping could be the problem.

·
Registered
161 Posts
got mine from VA Classic Mustang, I think they were classic tube, fit like they were made fot the cars without any problems, put them on my '67 FB and '65 FB, everything fit and snapped into the factory clamps

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The set I got from CJ Pony fit well, no real issues...
That being said, I do not think I would get stainless again..takes alot of torque to seal them up I found.
Tom

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just went with the factory steal, my old ones were overly bad and they were original pulled out few months ago.

I have some conduit bending skills, these lines are easy money!!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I have the stainless brake lines and fuel line on mine. I think they are classic tube as well. They fit fine, but did have to be slightly manipulated during installation. I got them from MU or CJ a few years ago. The fuel line I got was the Shelby one since its 3/8 not 5/16 like the the rest of them.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Don't get stainless. Too hard to bend. The ones I got for my 67 and 68 required a little tweaking but not too bad. I got them from NPD.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought some lines from NPD that the packer had folded in half to fit in the box.No big deal except it's really hard to get a piece of tubing perfectly straight again once it's bent.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i used the stainless ones from npd because i would rather fight with it once then replace it ever again. i tend to over torque things anyway so that was not a problem. i did have trouble fitting it around the steering column but i forced it and it eventually fit. the rest of the lines were basicaly perfect.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fuel Lines

I bought the 3/8" fuel lines for my '65 coupe. I forgot to give consideration to the fact that I am boxing the frame in front. Now I have to work the heck out of the tubing to get it around the boxes. Measure twice, bend once. LOL.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Used NPD pre-bent stainless brake and 3/8" fuel on two 68 S codes. All parts fit very well. Obvioulsy some minor tweaking to get things lined up just right, but very good parts IMHO....

Will be using them again on the next project.

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
I bought some lines from NPD that the packer had folded in half to fit in the box.No big deal except it's really hard to get a piece of tubing perfectly straight again once it's bent.
you can hold up the tubing like a hoop, and "walk out" the bend sucessfully. Just wear soft soled shoes.

+1 for avoiding stainless lines. The extreme torque often needed (is too risky) when trying to get a seal against 45+ year old prop valves, dist. blocks, etc.

Z.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts