Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran by this, and immediately thought about when this engine will end up between the shocktowers of a 65-73.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
First i thought of 2 different engines, the GTR engine and the old 7.3 diesel. Honestly, both of those would have been exciting.

The question I really am left with is, why? That engine doesn't make alot of power (compared to a coyote swap), requires a bunch of mods to fit and isnt probably gonna be supported much (aftermarket wise) if it stays only in the Superduty.

This isnt me wanting to be negative, but I genuinely dont see any benefit to doing this swap. I havent read much on it. I was excited for the Superduty to get it, then I read it was gas powered.....

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
If Ford resurrected the 7.3 L Powerstroke Diesel with 500 hp and 1000 ft/lb torque, and installed that in the Super Duty, they would set another sales record on marketing reputation alone. I have a 7.3 Diesel about to hit 300,000 miles and it runs great. I realize that's an IH engine, and Ford learned a thing or two from them including on the 6.0 and the 6.4. It's also a TOUGH-A$$ TRUCK. The 6.7 Scorpion is wicked nice. If the gas engine is Godzilla, I think a Diesel 7.3 would have to be called something incredibly large and powerful...or surprisingly compact and unbelievably powerful !
I don't think I would put either in a Mustang.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
If Ford resurrected the 7.3 L Powerstroke Diesel with 500 hp and 1000 ft/lb torque, and installed that in the Super Duty, they would set another sales record on marketing reputation alone. I have a 7.3 Diesel about to hit 300,000 miles and it runs great. I realize that's an IH engine, and Ford learned a thing or two from them including on the 6.0 and the 6.4. It's also a TOUGH-A$$ TRUCK. The 6.7 Scorpion is wicked nice. If the gas engine is Godzilla, I think a Diesel 7.3 would have to be called something incredibly large and powerful...or surprisingly compact and unbelievably powerful !
The 6.7L is holding it's own as well. Of course we all remember the 6.0L, but that was not a Ford engine, it was an International engine.

Allen

·
Registered
934 Posts
That new 7.3 gasser is a beast with a ton of torque. Perfect for a truck.
Ford brought this engine into production because it’s power is comparable to the diesel and it’s cheaper to make.
No expensive exhaust scrubbers. No turbos, intercooler, and associated plumbing.
Plus old school reliable cam-in-block design.

Ford said the 7.3 will fit in a 2020 Mustang but has no plans to do it. Don’t worry, someone will ;)

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,286 Posts
I read that custom tunes are already being written for it.... if it's a strong engine itll be supported.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
The problem I see is it's taller than a Coyote, the pan looks like it really hangs down, and it will need a large cowl hood, look how high that inlet elbow is. I wonder how the weight compares ?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I am thinking that if I still had my 70 Gran Torino GT that it would make a awesome swap project.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Here is a video I recently saw where they compared it to the Windsor and Coyote, not much bigger then a Windsor!
Interesting, but they didn't measure the intake height or pan depth. Eventually there should be aftermarket intake that are lower, the pan may be harder to address. All speculation at this point.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
First i thought of 2 different engines, the GTR engine and the old 7.3 diesel. Honestly, both of those would have been exciting.

The question I really am left with is, why? That engine doesn't make alot of power (compared to a coyote swap), requires a bunch of mods to fit and isnt probably gonna be supported much (aftermarket wise) if it stays only in the Superduty.

This isnt me wanting to be negative, but I genuinely dont see any benefit to doing this swap. I havent read much on it. I was excited for the Superduty to get it, then I read it was gas powered.....
430HP and 475ft/lb isnt a lot of power compared to a Coyote? The benefit though is it far more likely to fit between the shock towers than a Coyote(though that still doesn't help potential height issues since the foxbody swaps I have seen in progress are dropping the rack by 1.5"...can you say bumpsteer kit required?)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
430HP and 475ft/lb isnt a lot of power compared to a Coyote? The benefit though is it far more likely to fit between the shock towers than a Coyote(though that still doesn't help potential height issues since the foxbody swaps I have seen in progress are dropping the rack by 1.5"...can you say bumpsteer kit required?)
Yeah, with more torque than the Coyote, 475ft/lb right out of the gate, there are some things that come with cubic inches that are hard to beat. We are talking an engine tuned for a truck. Shove some hi lift, hi RPM cams and watch those horse power numbers JUMP.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, with more torque than the Coyote, 475ft/lb right out of the gate, there are some things that come with cubic inches that are hard to beat. We are talking an engine tuned for a truck. Shove some hi lift, hi RPM cams and watch those horse power numbers JUMP.
In the video I posted, the folks on there were estimating an easy 600hp with a larger cam, ported heads, and headers. A heavy duty platform makes a great starting point for a high performance engine, one would imagine.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,286 Posts
Now I'm day dreaming of a lifted f250 highboy with one of these under the hood..... hang on, gotta buy my lotto ticket.

Reactions: Mike the old grump

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
If ford resurrected the 7.3 and kept all the things that made it a reliable engine, and fitted it with today’s required emissions, it wouldn’t get out of its own way.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Do some research on this engine... SVT put out some info on this. ford intentionally designed this engine with the strong points of all of their previous engines made. A super strong block capable of stroking 500+ cubic inches. It has really wide bore spacing, very efficient heads w/ straight runners, canted valves, wedge combustion chambers, incredibly stout valve terrain, forged pistons rods & crank.this engine is full off racing technology. also leaked from ford is that a completely separate top end (opposing valves like a cleavland, boss 429 etc) is going to available for performance applications.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
If this motor keeps one Mustang from getting an LS it's a win! Now lets go out there and total some new F350's and motorhomes so we can find out what it's capable of!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.