Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi doug2stanger here
after reading the recent post about seem sealer, i wondered whos repairs have lasted the
longest. i mean i have read of a lot of different ways to weld, then clean the surface.
and seal with seam sealer and paint over. That is all fine and dandy, that is about how i do it.
but what i am wondering is , from your own, or someone elses body work experience, how
long did this basic type of repair last for you.? maybe from two different angles. maybe some
keep water and the elements away from the repair area. others just fixed it and let nature
take place. i would appreciate alot of honest responses.
thanks in advance. if this gets buried i might post this again.
later doug2stanger

douglas rhine of nebraska
the man with the sad dog face

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What I have found in working on older cars is that they didn't ever put paint/primer under the body sealers and that if they would of, a lot of rust in these areas would not be present. After I weld in a panel or patch, I will allways clean and prep the area and then paint it with a good rust inhibitor type paint or primer. Then I will put on the joint filler. Hey you only want to do a job once.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I was reading a mag that said you should also fill all the seams with Lead and not filler. I wonder how much more it would cost for repairs if lead was used and not bondo to fill the seams. Kory

Mustang Parts makes a great addiction.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to stay away from the seam sealer as much as I could
because when I started on the car all the old stuff was mostly
dried out and cracked. Just kinda taken up space in the rust.
I used the weld tru primer, tried to make as solid and gapless
welds as I could, coated the seams with galvanizing primer,
globbed it on where it didn't show, then painted. How it's
gonna stand the test of time I don't know. Been 2 years so far
on the 66 as a d/d and everything looks ok. My next project is
my 80 TR7 and I'm gonna try my hand at lead on it instead of
any plastic just to see how it works and holds up.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My stang got in a fender bender a few months after I got it. The guy who fixed it tried to weld a patch panel over the battery area (which was in desperate need of help) He tacked something atop the damaged area, and did no prep work. Sigh. I still need to redo the area. but I want to cut the section out , find a good pacth panel repro and rebuild the area.
Then I was thinking (god forbid) of ater priming and painting, of coating the area in plasticized acid resistant industrial use paint (the fun things you learn while working for a summer on a paint crew.) If I ever get to try it..... I'll let you know. But right now. Moving/career hunting is more up there...as this is my ONLY car...and it's hard to put it in a garage I don't have to pull it apart:p

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts