Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Depends on the primer, there should be some instruction with the product. What kind of primer is it?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill,
thanks... i went and read the can and it says right on there (imagine that?). got to wait 20-30 minuets at 70*, so i'll give it an hour since its a bit colder and more humid out.
as for the brand... i've never heard of it before, its what the store sold me to work with their dupont paint that i bought. its just a normal build primer.
- Jason

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Get the technical datasheet for this particular primer; it will tell you when to apply a topcoat (usually after one hour and before 24 hours) or when you can sand (high build primers typically take 2 hours).

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Well, you've gotten good advise form the others. Traditional primers are designed to be top coated within 24 hours; however, some of the newer epoxy primers expand this window to allow up to 72 hours. The technical sheets (if not given on the can) will properly identify recommended top coating times for the best results.

·
Registered
580 Posts
High build primers are not designed to be topcoated without sanding. Sealer primers and epoxy primers can be topcoated, but build primers do not lay down smooth enough to topcoat. Good luck.

Lstar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts