Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new 4 barrell intake and carb and also a new fuel line from the tank to the carb. I also drained the tank. How long does it take to get fuel back to the carb? How much fuel should I have in the tank?
I have about 5 gals. of gas in the tank now and have been cranking for two 30 sec. bursts. Still hasn't fired. Should I pour some gas into the carb?
Thanks,
Fred

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Yes. A couple tablespoons, about a half ounce should do it.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Shoot some starting fluid in it. It will run on that for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
My coupe didn't pick up the fuel from the tank when I replaced everything so I ran a hose from the line inside the engine compartment into a gas can. I then wrapped a shop rag around my air blow gun and pressurized the tank with air until it pushed the gas through the line and into the gas can. After reattaching the line to the carb it started quickly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My coupe didn't pick up the fuel from the tank when I replaced everything so I ran a hose from the line inside the engine compartment into a gas can. I then wrapped a shop rag around my air blow gun and pressurized the tank with air until it pushed the gas through the line and into the gas can. After reattaching the line to the carb it started quickly.
Hi Doug,
Thanks for the tip. Funny I was thinking of doing that. Would the air pressure damage the tank? I'll give it a try. I know it's a long way to ask the fuel pump to do all that work especially since the line goes up over the axel.
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Fred, try cutting the air pressure down on your compressor regulator. It won't take a lot of pressure to push the fuel through and you won't risk damage that way. It will help to have a second person monitoring the hose where it goes into the container so you'll know when the fuel comes out and you won't risk spilling it. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
might be air loked as stated. you can also just pull the fule line at the carb have a buddy hold it in a coffee can and crank a few times till it spurts out

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another option is to connect a hand vacuum pump to the rubber fuel line that connects to the fuel filter and pull the fuel through.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Guys, I got it running and it sounds awesome!!! After thinking about it awhile I got everything straightened out. First, I couldn't understand why I wasn't getting any kind of a pop when I turned it over with gas poured into the carb. I checked the plug wires to make sure they were on the proper plugs. I knew the timing was right since I never touched the distributer. I pulled the number one plug and turned it over, no spark. I finally figured out that I didn't have a wire connected to the coil. Once I was getting spark the rest was easy. I primed it through the carb and it fired right off and ran till the gas was gone. I primed it again it ran on the prime and I kept cranking for another 10 sec. and it picked up the prime and ran like a champ. I was very happy considering this is the first time I ever installed an intake manifold. No leaks and instant response on the carb.
I want to thank all you guys for your help and insite. I'm sure I'll be asking for solutions on my next problem.
Thanks,
Fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts