Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Bigger question is about how many are still left?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
325k is all I know also. I am not sure how many are left but mine is one of them.
I thought to ask the community.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
35,698 according to an old price guide I have. Not counting the 2,300ish Shelbys.
27,809 Std Interior.
7,889 Deluxe Interior.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I read something many years ago that estimated about 6-7,000 fastbacks still around.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Just found my reply on this topic from a long time

#11 Jun 20, 2006
I recall reading an atricle about 10-12 years ago that said about 7,500 66 fastbacks were still in existence .

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
I would not be surprised if the number is not growing. Cars that were scrapped or junked years ago are being dragged out of the woods / barns / yards and brought back to life.

I have brought several back that were "dead" cars, and if they would have been a 1968 station wagon, they would have been crushed.

That does not include coupe to fastback conversions or Dynacorn Body cars.

With no original Factory documentation, and the availability of aftermarket or junk car GT parts, any A or K code car COULD be turned into a "factory GT" car. It depends on the knowledge and skill of the person "creating" the faux GT.

·
Registered
35,140 Posts
I would not be surprised if the number is not growing. Cars that were scrapped or junked years ago are being dragged out of the woods / barns / yards and brought back to life.

I have brought several back that were "dead" cars, and if they would have been a 1968 station wagon, they would have been crushed.

That does not include coupe to fastback conversions or Dynacorn Body cars.

With no original Factory documentation, and the availability of aftermarket or junk car GT parts, any A or K code car COULD be turned into a "factory GT" car. It depends on the knowledge and skill of the person "creating" the faux GT.
LOL. Yep... goes back to the "good old days" when it was said that there were now more Camaro Z/28's in existence than Chevy actually manufactured...

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
With fastbacks you have another factor as well. They might still be in one piece but they're not here anymore as they've been shipped overseas.

·
Dimples
4,124 Posts
I'm still reeling a little from this idea that there are so few left. Makes me a little heart sick for the people out there that pine for one like I did 25 years ago, and they're basically unobtainable for all but those with significant expendable cash.

I've come around in those 25 years to love all body styles equally for their own reasons, but that's easy to say when you already have one of the unicorns (relatively speaking, of course). I still remember what it was to have a 65 coupe and wish so deeply for a fastback. Definitely a case of being born at the right time. If I was a teenager wanting a fastback nowadays, I'd be screwed.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback
88 Posts
If there are only around 7,000 66 Mustang fastbacks left out of around 36,000 built, that would mean only about 20% of them survived. Between rust, accidents, neglect, etc, thats alot of destroyed fastbacks. Glad I've had mine since 1996.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I remember adding my 66 GT Fastback to an early mustang registry many years ago. This type of question should be able to be answered from their database. I just wonder how many are left that haven't been converted to GT350 clones?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback
88 Posts
Has the database been kept up to date? Would be interesting to see the registry. Maybe the registry is where the estimated 6000 to 7000 left number came from. I have not entered my 66 fastback into any registry, but maybe a previous owner did? And as a side note, mine was already a GT350 clone when I bought it in 1996. I knew it was an A code when I bought it, but later found out that was likely a GT when I found the rear floor reinforcing plates and dual exhaust brackets when I had the back seat out once.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts