Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine who has been working on his 65 vert resto-mod just dug into his paperwork to go get his tag and found out his vert was originally a k-code, 4 speed. How many '65 verts like this were originally made?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too late. Oddly enough this guy knows tons about mustangs and has had a number in his life. The owner is an engineer and has his own garage and machine shop. The car is spectacular ... coil over , R/P front, a Roush racing 392 stroker and 5 speed. When he got it it had a 302 c-4 set-up and he said he never looked at the paperwork. I saw the registration today and sure enough the "K" is there. He's probably got close to $30,000 in the car over the two-year restoration period.

Just trying to find some numbers for him.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Oddly enough this guy knows tons about mustangs and has had a number in his life.

Strange he didn't notice the "K" in the vin..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely agree. Kind of shocking.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Art,

I echo your sentiment. Who wouldn't look at the VIN prior to purchase? It's a real shame to see such a rare car violated, but that's just me. Actually, I hate to see any of them modified.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Maybe his base is in the later versions...

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
To answer your question, Ford did not keep the paperwork/records for 65 or 66. From 67 onward you could find out how many were made, but for 65/66 no one knows.

It is rare (a factory K code GT convert would be even rarer - and there are one or two VMFers who have one). But in general any K is rare, and a K convert more so.

But since this car had a 302 C4 when he got it, it had already lost the engine and drivetrain that it came with it. It sounds like most of the "mods" are bolt-on. Maybe someone will buy it someday and put it back together, and put those nice mods on an A, C or T code.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Just for fun I grabbed some numbers from the 64.5-66 Mustang registry:

'65 Convertibles - 23%
'65 K codes - 3%
'65 4 Spd - 23%

The K code number is likely high because the rare cars were more likely spared from the crusher however that's balanced out somewhat by the fact that less converts received the K engine.

The 4 spd number is likely low considering we already lknow the car is a K code. It makes sense that the Hipo engine was more likely to be paired with the better tranny.

Anyhow just for fun assume the plusses and minuses cancel out and we get .23 x .03 x .23 = .0021 or 0.21% of the '65 cars were K verts with the 4 spd. Multipy the 559,000 cars produced by .0021 (actually .00207 before rounding) and we get 1157 cars. That's just an educated guess. Use approx. 1000 cars for the sake of keeping it neat.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yikes! Even I would have restored that to original. Sounds like a nice ride though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all 65 K code mustangs were 4 speed, they were not available with automatic until 66. That said, according to the hipo mustang registry, there were 7272 K code mustangs built in 64-65. There are 686 registered K codes left (64-65), of which 143 are verts, or about 21% verts. 21 percent of the original 7272 is about 1454 K codes verts built in 64-65. But as other have said, probably a hair less since K code verts were more likely to have been saved.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Hey guys,

Keep in mind that the registry is NOT COMPLETE, and is dependent on owners registering them with the K-code site. There are way more K-codes out there than the registry may suggest.

In my area alone, I know of 4 K code verts including mine lurking around here; 2 65's and 2 66's. And that is just what I saw at a local show last Saturday.

Troy

·
Registered
437 Posts
I agree with you, I was simply back calculating what percentage of the 7300 or so K codes built in 64-66 that were verts based on their percentages from the known cars left. It is obviously an rough estimate. And there certainly more K cars out there than are registered.

·
Registered
486 Posts
For what it is worth, my dad was telling me of a dealership in MD that offered him a new 65 HIPO convertible that they were unable to sale. The guy special ordered it with a 3 speed and then decided not to take it. What are the odds that it was the only 65 HIPO convertible sold with a 3 speed?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I don't want to argue the point but, I guess we will never know. I wouldn't believe it either but I do trust my Dad and his knowledge of Fords. He has been working on them since the early 60's. He wasn't interested in it do to that fact. May not have been built by Ford but it was brand new on the show room floor with a 289 HIPO 3 spd.

G

·
0 Posts
37 years is a long time... might have been an A or C code with a dress up kit that looked like a hi-po at first glance under the hood.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts