Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked here many times before, but I'm not doing a search! :winkgrin: So I'll rehash the question: How many classic Mustangs are on the road today?

I'll venture a guess based on some rough assumptions: Assuming around 3 million 65-73 mustangs built with a 2% annual attrition rate would mean all those stangs would be extinct after 50 years. This, of course, is not true. So if we assume the last 10% of mustangs are still in existance, that leaves about 300,000 cars. If half of those are sitting in barns and weeds awaiting restorations or just rotting away, would it be safe to assume 150,000 roadworthy classic mustangs out there? This is obviously a debatable number.

I'm sure there is a better answer out there. Whats your take?

·
Registered
217 Posts
This would be so much easier if we were Tucker owners! :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Here in Los Angeles they are just "old cars", there all over the place.

·
Premium Member
7,082 Posts
424,218 not including the Eleanor's.

This does not count the 1966 Green Coupe in Manhattan Kansas that technically is on the road, but has not run in 16 years.

If anyone has information other than this number, please let me know, by sending a list of VIN's in an Excel worksheet, including zip codes.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I’d be willing to bet that there is a much larger percentage of 65-73 Mustangs around today than there are any other 65-73 model car. In the mid-1970’s people “rediscovered” early Mustangs and started restoring and saving them. Every few years or so the desirable years for Mustangs has moved up. Right now the prices are climbing on the 69/70 models. I’ve even notice the 71-73’s seem to be slowly increasing too. There really wasn’t a movement like that in the GM or Chrysler pony car world. The is probably one of the reasons the prices on big-block/Hemi ’Cuda’s and Challengers are so sky-high. It’s only been in the last few years that they’ve become collectable items whereas through the mid-70’s and 80’s they were pretty much used, abused, crushed or left to sit and rot. People started taking care of Mustangs early on and it has led to many more being available than other cars and while the prices seem high to some, they are much lower than may comparable equipped pony cars built by other manufactures.. Yes, there were a greater number built as opposed to other Pony cars but I’ll bet a higher percentage survive today too.

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
I know that there are only 15 Shelby's in Oz.

Let's not forget that there are donor cars destroyed every day from restorers to save the verts and fastbacks.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Depends what you mean by "on the road". I think that for every Mustang that still moves under its own power there are five others sitting in somebody's garage because the fuel pump quit or the radiator started leaking or some such. Things a VMFer would consider minor but is a major deal to the owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts