Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was funny. The other day I'm driving my mustang around town. granted...it is only a I6, but it does have dual exhuast.

I pulled up beside this car that had "Save the world" stickers all over about the environment. I pulled beside him at the stop light. He was driving a Yugo (or something small-Metro like). He looked at me...I looked at him and just waved as you could smell the gas coming from my exhaust and hear a nice throaty rumble. He just looked disgusted and wouldn't look at me again.

I'm not against saving the environment...I'm all for it. The way I figure, If you drive gas guzzlers...the world will run out of petroleum that much earlier and we'll be forced to find a newer, and hopefully cleaner, source of energy.

See...we mustangers are doing our part to save the world too.

Seriously...Recycle...buy an old mustang.

Slade

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,861 Posts
Seems like to me a true tree-hugger would be riding a horse or riding a bike, not operating a motor vehicle. Funny how these enviromental people pointedly ignore the huge amount of resources used and pollution created in the manufacture of a new dinky-mobile. I would think driving a 35 year old vehicle would be considered recycling. Your slightly higher gas usage and pollution are but a drop in the bucket compared to the mess made from manufacturing a new car. Ever notice how the treehuggers are stupidly hypocritical in a lot of ways?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Actually a true tree hugger should be walking barefoot with only a fig leaf to hide the particulars.*G*

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I went to a "Green Building" conference a few months ago to learn the benefits of building with environmentally friendly materials and methods. Several people were commenting how they drove there in hybrid cars. Well, I had to drive, alone, 60 plus miles to get there in my Expedition. Oh well.

With the T-5, my Mustang now gets better mileage, but the emissions are nowhere as clean.

BTW if you want to have a building "LEED" certified (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) it will cost 60K just to do the paperwork (requires killing trees)/forums/images/icons/wink.gif. I say to heck with the certification, build efficiently and buy a Shelby.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
i've been yelled at about my white smoke by an 2003 audi and i just told him to drive behind me and catch cancer

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Ha!!!! Just a week ago I was driving behind one of these people in the Bronco.....

He had a sticker that read, "meat eaters are murderers."
I had a burger in my hand and happily pulled along side of him and took a huge bite out of the burger as he looked on helplessly..

He did give me the birdie...I smiled as I pulled away.

I am also for saving the environment.....but let us do it in a constructive manner.....hey...whoever can come up with a hydrogen
burning v-8 that looks like a 5.0 liter or small block engine, I'll go for it!!!!

Hydrogen is the fuel of the future....no smog, unlimited rescource and it is renewable. The mileage is supposed to be in the 40-50mpg range due to the potential energy this element has....

The power figures are very attractive too......better ratings than
Propane or Methane.

This is what my thesis will be on for my B.S. in M.E.......Future Fuel.

regards

·
Registered
560 Posts
Saw a bumper sticker on an old truck the other day. It read: "God Loves you. But the rest for the world thinks your a F***ing A$$hole. I was reading it in construction traffic and some moron is passing people on the berm. The guy in this truck saw him coming up and pulled over so he could not get by. The moron was stuck behind this truck for about 10 minites sucking in exhaust and reading the bumper sticker.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Hey, I love animals--I think they taste delicious! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
258 Posts
I guess you can take anything and blow it all out of proportion, like not wanting to totally trash the environment for future generations. Personally, I rather like trees. They keep my house cool in the summer and shield it in the winter. They allow me to built award winning woodworking projects too. There are people who go waaay to the extreme on all issues, and it would be foolish to label all by the actions of a few.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
I've seen that bumper sticker here in town, thought it was perfect. I also love to block morons who try to sneak around the line. I won't do it with my Mustang, but my truck--that's something else. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep. Believe me Central Texas is Command Central for the Tree Huggers. They protect everything from a blind salamander in Barton Springs (which is great on a Ritz) to a cave beetle that held up building of Lakeline Mall (a handful of Diazion would have remedied that problem) to the Golden Cheeked Warbler (a BB gun works well on song birds to bone up for hunting season) that 3M was forced to pay extortion money to protect in order to build on their own property. The funny thing is I have yet to get any crap about driving my 10MPG Mach.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,861 Posts
If I may, I might define my idea of a "tree-hugger". Usually an early twenties college kid with too much time time on his hands and not a lot of common sense. Easily spotted at organized rallies whose purpose is mainly to harass someone trying to do something constructive. Always accompanied by handfuls of pamphlets printed on god-knows-what, various stupid bumper stickers, and whatever buttons and tshirts are the latest treehugger fashion. Difficult to tell apart from PETA members, GreenPeace, and other activists who don't believe in bathing regularly.
These people are not to be confused with say, "back to nature" types. I know some of these people and they usually too busy living their lives to worry about what the rest of us are up to.
The Amish come to mind also. They well know the value of trees, and how to replant them too. The Amish are not widely made fun of. Likely because they have no interest in forcing their views and lifestyle on others.
People who run around with their asses hanging out are going to get laughed at, what can I say?

·
Registered
553 Posts
REAL tree-huggers drive mopeds...

Moped-Boy! LOL /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts