Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our newly joined member GT350C has got me thinking... How many Shelbys beyond the originals made from 1965 through 1970 have been - and will be made?

Although they were surely riding on the coat tails of the Mustangs, we shouldn't count the Dodge things made in the 80s (should we?). Let's see, there were the original 12 "continuation" convertibles made in the 80s; then the batch of "genuine" AC Cobras in the 90s; then the whole GT500E thing (including the Super Snake version) by Unique, as well as their GT350SR; the Dallas Mustang GT350DM; and now this GT350C... Am I leaving any out? Perhaps Moneymanagers GT350+? Are there any letters that haven't been tagged on behind "GT350?"

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's funny you should mention that. I know WMW is trying to work with CSL to keep othe licensees from having similar products to confuse the brand.
I have seen what Unique has advertised (web/print), and I have some of the original build sheets. They are saying that they are making only have 400 GT500E's. I can't figure out where they come up with 500 more convertible E cars and 75 more Super Snakes. According to the advertisements and my build sheets, these are options of the E cars. Like I said, I thought there were only 400 all together. As for the GT350SR, Unique has said they will only have 500 of those.
As for Terlingua and the Dallas Mustang stuff, those may be continuation cars, but they aren't the "Shelby Continuation" cars everyone has been talking about.

Anyone every hear of Legendary GT? (whole new ball of wax)

Jesse

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Let's not forget Shelby De Mexicos, Swedish Shelby and Shelby Mavericks!!

Continuation Shelby Chili?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Dave

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for Terlingua and the Dallas Mustang stuff, those may be continuation cars, but they aren't the "Shelby Continuation" cars...
Based on what I've seen and read, they come a lot closer to the real thing than yours do. Heck, my car comes closer!

And you've still not addressed where you got the "220 hp" fact from your other post. The original 4 1966 'verts were 271 hp K-code cars - just like their fastback counterparts. Seriously man, do some homework.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just you wait until every Mustand on the street is "Shelbyized". I'll corner the market on stock cars! According to Rich's law of supply and demand the continuation cars will be worth about $20,000 and mine will be worth $68,000. I can take the difference and buy a couple of the Shelbys that I currently can't afford.
Rich

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
IMHO the only real Shelby's made were in 65-6 ANYTHING after that doesn't count. I appoligize in advance to all of those who own 67-70's its just my opinion and I mean no harm by it.

G

·
I understand you position (racing Shelbys) but didn't Shelby drop out of building them in '68? And maybe that should be the rightful end of real Shelbys?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Shoot, there really isn't anything to stop the folks from making Fox body "Shelby's" is there? Doesn't it just take Carroll okay (and I assume some money changing hands)to make it legit?
Rich

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
And all those folks that named their kids, dogs, cats, hamsters, Shelby
I got a cat named Shelby. She's a continuation from some other cat.

I got a dog named Wensleydale. She's registered AKC English Bulldog. She's gassy.

I'M IN DA MONEY!!
:joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

Dave :biggrin:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got my info from the Registry, which I believe to be the highest and best source. These were everyday drivers. Hertz cars were 'rent-a-racers'. These cars were built for Carroll's secretary, his two kids, and himself. Sorry I needed to get so far into it.

As for the warranty, I talked to Jon and he said this...
"Can I buy your car that you restored and have just a 12 hour warranty for Sebring?" He said if there is a defect, he will be able to take care of that as the car will be thoroughly documentes. But, even Ford Racing's only warranty on their engines is that they will turn over and start because they don't know what you will be doing with it next. Also, WMW doesn't manufacture the stereo, the radiator, the alternator, etc. If they did, they might be able to warranty the car with greater confidence. On the other hand, if one of those parts goes bad, there is a pretty good chance it is individually warrantied by the manufacturer.
Jesse

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Let's not forget Shelby De Mexicos, Swedish Shelby and Shelby Mavericks!!

Continuation Shelby Chili? Think there was a "continuation" of the Chili :horror: this AM with the "free" posting on V-M or the eBay continuation 66 cv. the one with the strange interior!

If they're so anal about the name, why doesn't Shelby step up to the plate and assume parenthood of those Dodge Daytona Omni :puke: street urchins and give them status other than Shelby's "leave behinds" :rolleyes: They're just dying to call him Daddy! :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
The newest issue of Mustang Monthly has a GT350SR on the cover. How many different versions of the Shelby can he do? Someone said in the other post that Shelby is living in the past. That is very accurate. He came up with the Shelby in 1965. Great...quite a car, but he's still doing it forty years later. Let it go. He is just soiling the original Shelbys. :no:

·
Registered
440 Posts
How can you not warranty a car because you didn't build the alternator? NO car maker makes every single part on a car, and it is rediculous to think they do. The point is that the maker selects the parts, tests them and installs them, part of a purchase is the understanding that you deal only with one person or company. The maker should fix the problem and take any follow up action on the supplier. It should not be the customers responsibility to try and get your partners to fix any problems, it is yours. I think you will find that you are out of business very shortly.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
my benz has a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, they did not build everything in it but they stand behind their work. Anyone that does not give a warranty on a car that has been completely rebuilt is not gonna last long.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Reading my June 1979 issue of Mustang News (bought out by Mustang Monthly) an individual was looking for a "real" 65 or 66 Shelby, no fakes, no "aftermarket" Shelbys. Probably would have used the term clone if it would have been a common word back then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts