Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Mustang Motor Heads,
I am looking to see if I can get any better info on my car. I have attached my deciphered Data Plate information below. My Google foo is not a work of art, so I am reaching out to all my Mustang Motor heads to see if anyone has some insight on how rare, or not, my particular car may be. It was a miracle find for me. It happens to be my birthday car. Built in Jan 66 in Dearborn Mich. My birth Month, Year, and State, and I just recently purchased it as the 3rd owner here in Denver Colorado, where it was originally sold. Now, she has a lot of miles, but was a garage baby for the last 20 some years. The last owner had it for 32 years. She is a driver, got some dings and scratches, but she is a beauty. So if there are any folks out there that can help, I am looking to see how many of my model package were sold back in 66. The searches I tried didnt really say much, except there about 55k of the Premium Coupes sold, but no mention of the rarer Emberglo with the White top, and 2 tone Deluxe Pony interior, Emberglo and parchment.

Your assistance or insight is Greatly appreciated.

Wade H.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
That is a WONDERFUL color combination and a great car, I'm sure. Alas, Ford either disposed of or someone has hoarded and possibly lost the 1964-1966 Mustang data. Kevin Marti has the famed Marti Reports compiled from Ford's data for 1967 and up. There is a publication called Mustang by the Numbers that has some data, but most of it, whether kept accurate or not, is now online. While your car may not be one IN a million, it is certainly one OF a million and more, and possibly one of a few survivors after 53 years.

Welcome to VMF, add some pictures of your car, and we'll all learn as.we go.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
The majority of 1964 1/2, 1965 and 1966 Ford Mustang car data was destroyed/deleted by Ford in the 1970's....

However, the 1967 and forward data all exists and can be gotten by running a "Marti Report" from Kevin Marti at Marti Autoworks..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
36,488 Posts
I understand Ford destroyed the 65-66 records in 1979 to save storage space.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
...and i heard that there was a federal mandate for storing records 10 or so years that went into effect for '67 cars so they just steadily trashed what they weren't required to keep.:shrug:

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,636 Posts
The point being made here is that there is no single source of accurate build information on pre-'67 Mustangs. A number of people have made educated guesses and extrapolated conclusions from those guesses but, in the end, it is still a guess.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
...and even the 1%ers are more than 10,000 examples:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your responses. It is a shame that 2 years of files were destroyed to save storage space, but at least i got one of these babies in my garage now. i will keep her in good shape, and one day pass it along to my kids to have and enjoy well after i am out of the pic.

Wade H
'66 Emberglo

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Welcome to the hobby and to the site. You will find a lot of good information here.

Don't sweat the production numbers. You have purchased one of the most popular cars ever. They made a crap ton of them. That said, back in the day they had 50+/- options which affords a great number of permutations of how a car could be produced. A one of one car based on which combination of inane options someone might have selected does not make it necessarily valuable especially when they made hundreds of thousands of that body style.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome - let's see some pics. From what I can tell from your profile pic, that's a pretty good looking car.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
One of the Mustang mags said those records were destroyed in a storage facility fire.
Nope was deleted. Marti was the person that decided to save 67 on when he heard about stuff getting deleted. He might have heard from Emminger but not sure who told him. Emminger was the original archiver for Ford. She started saving the Ford copies of Thunderbird Invoices. As noted, ford was probably getting rid of data as feds did not require them to keep and it took up room in the databases. I think I read that this info was stored on punch cards and Marti (and friends and family) fed them into a database he made to get all the info, but not 100 percent sure. Sad part now is all this data could be kept in any computer less then 15 or 20 years old... The storage facility fire I believe to be a Chevy story which I think is true. Because Chevy used protecto plates and did not put vins on engine (only protectoplate number), proving matching numbers is hard. Pontiac has PHS which has a lot of build information of Pontiacs on microfilm. Pontiac goes earlier than 1966 but not sure how much. But PHS is not a database. Don't know about the other makes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts