Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '67 (as I'm sure most others out there do also) has holes blown in the shock towers to access the UCA grease fittings. Do most people just live with these for a non-concourse restor? I'm considering just rounding the torch-holes with my dremel and putting rubber body plugs in for a "factory" look.

Thanks for the input.
Chris

'67 Conv. 289 C-code Frost Turquise
'99 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
'01 Ford Escape (wife's car)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Hey that's not a bad idea! BTW, I have them too and I don't plan on fixing them soon since mine are really small. However, I do want it fixed sometime. Maybe when I get a new crate engine!

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're not looking for a show car, then I'd say don't wory about them. Wouldn't it be easier to drill the hole out vs. grinding it though? On my '66, only one tower had been drilled, and it had already been welded up by the P.O. (although rather sloppily). Basically, it's just a matter of choice. If you've got things apart one day, and have access to a welder, I'd say to fill them in, but otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page
[color:red]Updated: 4/13/2001</font color=red>
"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."-Eisenhower

·
Registered
884 Posts
I know what you mean . I saw one car with holes big enough to put your fist through. I really dont know what the guy with the torch was thinking.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I had mine fixed. I have a buddy who is an artist of a welder who did them. Another friend bought a Turbo Coupe parts car and had him weld the roof and sun roof from it to his Super Coupe. It was a beautiful job. He really knows heat and the glow of the metal. It makes him sort of like the "Blacksmith of Old" in his craftsmanship.

'67 A-Code Coupe
'68 C-Code Coupe (SWMBO's)
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A
[email][email protected] [/Email]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the same idea about body plugs - which I think is a good idea.(too bad Ford didnt do it)But while the fenders were off I did weld them in

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
A PO on the convert torched holes in the towers you could put a fist through for header clearance.

Choices are new towers or patch the holes somehow. Neither choice will be easy.

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
In one of the mustang mags a few months back they covered repairing these common PO improvements. They welded a large washer of the same basic dimesions as the hole into the shock tower, using a screw through the center hole to hold it while welding the edges. Once the edges were done, they welded the center hole shut. Ground the welds, a little bondo and paint and you could not see the repair. Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts