Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago, Midlife suggested a second job to buy parts for the stang...the curse??? or just plain good advice? Hehe! Well, my disposable $$$ for the stang cannot come from the normal take home paycheck (except for very SMALL purchases, such a bolt or rattle can...) Nor can I charge on the credit card. Which leaves moonlighting a second job for parts the only viable option I have. So, I stack hay at the farm, combine beans at the farm, and sell stuff to fund my project. Yes, selling stuff counts as moonlighting. With me, especially so, since I really have to work hard to move my unwanted junk out! :: But it takes time to prepare stuff to sell on e-hay for instance, or list a vehicle, then try to sell it. When you work a second job to support the car, it encroaches on the restoration itself, so the hours in mustang restoration fundraising should count as hours on the project...

Just curious how many of you work on the side for your stang and what your side job(s) may be....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
....since moving out on my own, i would have to say that my TAX RETURNS really work to fund my big purchases now bc i cannot afford them otherwise. i usually get back 1 to 2 thousand or so. this year im really excited for mine bc i think i might finally spring for an SSBC dic brake kit or a really nice side exhaust setup... or both i dunno

but a second job? no thanks, i dont want to work any more than i am now heh

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yes Dan, nearly all of Woosie's money comes from consulting I do on the side. My paycheck pays for family & Life; Karen's is targeted for vacations and such.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I make and sell flower hairclips, and rely on good old horsetrading for parts if I don't sell the extra parts I still have left. I also routinely clean out closets and head to the swap meets.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Well Dan..like everyone else, my paycheck is for the wife and daughters..I still have 2 at home (both in high school..varsity cheerleaders,gymnastics etc.)my oldest one just got engaged( I have 4 daughters and 1 granddaughter), so even my "side" jobs doesnt fund too much of the mustang lately. I am an electrician, and most of my side work, comes from friends and reletives that need work done..of course they expect me to do it cheap, :p :: so the mustang is really gonna take a little longer than first expected :(

Joe

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know what you mean. :) I have two teenagers, and little SWMBO jr is wanting her car soon. She is earning the $$ to buy it, but I help her find jobs and etc. so she can save up some money. As for the cheap labor, I can relate. I stack hay for $10/load or about 10cents per bale with an automatic stacker. Which ussually earns about $20/hr when things go right. However, the going rate is 25 cents/bale or about $60-70/hr with the bigger stackers. Combining is about $30/ acre or about $60/hr. Problem is, these are only occasional jobs, but they net about $1700/year for the project.

SWMBO gets the tax return if there's one. LOL!

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I have sold a few things this summer to make a few dollars. I have been looking for a job all summer. I currently have two applications handed in, that are being reviewed. I will make a follow up call about those tomorrow. The job market has not been kind to me this summer. I do not have much money for the Mustang. I do not have much money left at all. :(

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I work an extra shift at the hospital 12 hours called in =$90.00 an hour :: Then again, I almost restored a very rare VW on 12 dollars an hour while living in a small 10X13 room... The very thing that motivated the hell out of me to finish my Nursing degree was that I would have enough money to play heheh ::

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
Currently juggling about 4 different jobs after a 9 hour workday. They tend to be an "on call" basis though.
Right now I'm working as an after hours mechanic for a used car dealer.
I'm always on call from the motorcycle shop (along with another guy) if a bike comes in needing work that I tend to specialize in. There are two there now, but they'll gather dust until the customers pony up some money.
I do a very specialized form of database consulting on rather rare occasions. I have two people considering putting me to work on their systems, but I'm not holding my breath.
When things get very slow or someone asks, I go to a couple of junkyards and cut out windshields on a per-piece basis. These yards won't sell a used windshield at all unless it's already out and stocked in a rack. The work sucks though.
And I also avoid here and there mechanic work as much as possible, but sometimes people catch me.
Come to think of it, I work pretty hard to have so little of this income trickle down to Mustang parts. Have to look into that. ::

·
Registered
846 Posts
I don't have a 2nd job, but I use all my overtime money for my stang.

·
Registered
21,016 Posts
I do electrical work on the side to support my habbit plus I have a 1 gal wiskey bottle I fill with coins (no pennies)

But a lot of times that extra money ends up going to the house. It's a peal PIA doing side work for me. I lot of lost time traveling and some times work is spotty. Currnetly I have someone that owes me $500 since January which is discouraging.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well when I started running out of money since I'm an unemployed student I started looking around at all the parts I had taken off of the stang and started listing them on ebay. I just sold my power steering for almost $800 :: If I could have an auction like that every week I could retire in.......hmmm ::

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I work a second job to pay for life. Each year SWMBO and I decide how much of that second paycheck we can afford to set aside for the Mustang and for her plans (whatever they happen to be).

My second job is the Economics Area Chair for the Utah Campus of the University of Phoenix.

John Harvey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts